"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: I took the plunge!

Tuesday 26 March 2013

I took the plunge!

My ankle was sore all day yesterday at work so although last night was supposed to be a running day I gave it a miss and went for a swim instead! 

My first swim in 10 weeks!  I was ever so slightly nervous that my technique would have gone to pot and that I would be back to square one! I could easily of convinced myself that it was too cold, I was too tired, my ankle was too sore BUT I reminded myself I had my first Triathlon in 7 weeks , well not really a proper Triathlon but a "pretendy" Try-a-tri Triathlon but I still need to improve my swimming so I don't embarrass myself totally and drown without a trace! 




I shivered as I removed my many layers of clothes and I did wonder why anyone would want to change into a swimming costume when it was so bloody cold!  Before I could change my mind I found myself by the pool side, looking out over the masses, I think I probably let out an audible sigh and groan!  The "non laned off section" was packed full of teenagers all thinking it great fun to try and drown each other and the lanes were full of  swimmers who all looked like they were competing in the Olympics!   A decision was to be made - which did I brave?  I decided to opt for the teenagers with the thought I could join in with the drowning ritual if they truly got on my nerves. 



I tentatively lowered myself into the shallow end, and after several seconds hopping from foot to foot making chimp noises (it was THAT cold!) I just bit the bullet and plunged under the water to get it over with!  I decided to start gently with breast stroke and weaved a wiggly path as I dodged the many teenagers who had no intention of swimming at all! After a couple of lengths of feeling my blood pressure rising I decided it was safer if I went into the lanes, lest I might find myself charged with murder! 

I initially felt quite intimidated being with super fast swimmers but I gave myself a good talking to and told myself I was as entitled to be there as them.  I had paid the same as them, and if I was too slow - TOUGH!  Once I relaxed and stopped worrying about everyone else I actually enjoyed it.  I didn't swim for the hour I had planned, I was only in the pool for about 45 minutes as my shoulders and arms started to ache and by the end were killing me! I decided not to push it too far and break myself back in gently!  I managed 1075 metres or 43 lengths or 0.67 miles.  Not too bad for my first time back! I didn't have any sneezing episodes afterwards either so I'm back to feeling more positive about my swimming prospects!  

Perhaps I will invest in some new goggles though, as whatever I do to my current ones to slacken them off I still end up feeling like I have bruised eyes and look pretty scary for a few hours afterwards!  Not a good look!!

Tonight as my ankle felt OK again I decided to risk a run! It was very chilly and windy out but once I got going I was OK.  As I went out straight after work I was able to go on the country roads, its been too dark up til now to venture out of town.  

It felt good to do a different route, and although there was several hills thrown in I felt quite comfortable and managed my longest
distance since my injury which I'm delighted about!!  I ran 8.58 miles at an average pace of a 9:55 minute mile.  Still need to speed up but at least I'm managing the miles now - or should I say my ankle is surviving the miles now!!  I will have to wait and see if it makes me suffer tomorrow! You can view this run here.

Sunday was the date I was supposed to do my first Duathlon in Carlisle.  I decided to opt out due to my fitness levels being crap and also not wanting to stress my ankle too much! One day I will compete in one!!

HOWEVER, Only 19 days to go until ...



Post injury miles and inch/weight loss since 9th March!

Running:  35.69 Miles
Walking:  25.19 Miles
Cycling:  27.87 Miles
Cross Trainer: 0.90 Miles
Rowing: 1.24 Miles
Swimming: 0.67 Miles or 43 lengths
Pilate's total Time: 2 hours
Core Strength Total Time: 1 hour 36 minutes 34 seconds


Weight loss: 0 / 8 pounds
Hips: 0.5 inches
Waist: 1.5 inches
Thighs: 0.5 inches




No comments:

Post a Comment