"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Marathon Inspiration

Sunday 19 May 2013

Marathon Inspiration

Today it wasn't raining!  Which is a miracle when you live in the Lake District!


I went to watch and cheer on some friends taking part in the Brathay Windermere Marathon.  A very scenic route but incredibly hilly! 

Due to road closures we couldn't drive directly to our viewing point and had to take a tour via some back roads! We parked the car a little distance away and then walked.

Our first viewing place was at around 12 miles, and even at this point (less than half way) there was some very tired looking runners who looked like they needed all the cheering and clapping available to them. It's funny watching the different reactions of people - some totally ignore you, some shout back, some smile! I know as a runner I feel energised when I get cheered on so I was hoping to energise some fellow runners in their moment of need!

It made me feel incredibly emotional seeing the dedication and determination on their faces and knowing the months of training that they have undergone to prepare themselves but I don't think anyone is ever quite prepared for Lake District hills! However, the weather was very kind to them, if not a little warm!  

I saw some of the 10 in 10 runners go by and felt a huge amount of respect for anyone who can attempt 10 marathon in 10 days! I could see the physical pain and effort they were experiencing just to continue! After cheering and clapping the last runner as they went through this point we went on a 3 mile walk with the dog before returning to the car and hot footing it to mile 24 for more cheering! I managed to see some of my friends at both these points which was great!

Once I got home feeling totally inspired (and before I sat down and opened the wine) I got changed into my running gear to do my training run.  The planned run was a 4 mile run @ a 9 min mile pace with a warm up and cool down added.  The sun was now shining and it was feeling warm but I was determined to incorporate some hills into my run to empathise with the marathon runners. 

After a night out last night and then a 3 mile walk I found this run hard work, especially trying to keep to the 9 minute mile pace for the 4 miles.  I didn't pace myself well in the beginning but managed an overall average pace of 9.07 min miles made up of these splits:

Warm up mile @ 10.23 min/mile (nice and slow as it was uphill!)
Mile 1 @ 8.26 min/mile (went off too fast!)
Mile 2 @ 8.55 min/mile (managing to maintain it!)
Mile 3 @ 9.02 min/mile (just beginning to lose it!)
Mile 4 @ 9.07 min/mile (not bad as this was up a hill!)
Cool Down 0.71 mile @ 9.06 min/mile.

You can view my run here.

My goal for next week is definitely to try and maintain the 9 minute mile pace and be consistent!


I have survived week 4 of my marathon training and my stats for the week look like this:

Running: 24.46 Miles
Time on feet: 3:51:23

Plus

Cross Training-
Swimming: 1.71 Miles
Walking: 4.48 Miles
Circuit Training: 1 Hour
Pilates: 1 Hour

Total Weekly miles: 30.65 Miles



and my total training for the marathon to date since 22nd April 2013 is:

Running : 89.00  Miles
Time on feet: 13:57:33

Plus

Cross Training-
Pilates: 3 hour
Circuit Training: 3 hour
Swimming:  4.29  Miles
Walking: 29.89 Miles
Cycling: 5.90 Miles

Total Miles: 129.08

Bring on week 5 - I am ready for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment