"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Fantastic Achievement!

Sunday 1 December 2013

Fantastic Achievement!

My daughter ran her first ever race today - the 10K pudding race at Ulverston and I went to cheer her on!

I think I was probably more nervous being a spectator than I am actually running!  It was mainly because I didn't have a clue how she was doing and just had to wait...!

I offered her the loan of one of my running tops but she said she didn't want to look like she was a serious runner in case she was rubbish and just went in a normal non-wicking leisure top!

After seeing them off at the start we went for a short walk and we were in situ at the finish line in time to cheer and clap embarrassingly!

I found it fascinating watching all the fast runners finishing and the array of running styles and breathing techniques was amazing! 

I'm sure I could learn alot studying their form!

Jessica crossed the finish line in an amazing 53 minutes although we are still waiting for the official results!  Fab achievement since she only started running 6 weeks ago and had to have major back surgery 2 years ago!  I am such a proud Mummy!  

She was slightly annoyed by a bloke she passed at mile 2 who said "You've got another 4 miles to go yet love, you will never make it running at that pace!".  Obviously wearing the wrong type of gear gave the impression she wanted!  She said that his comment made her all the more determined not to slow down!  

That's my girl!

There was no bling to mark her achievement just a teeny tiny Christmas Pudding which she doesn't even like!













She says she hasn't been bitten by the bug - but I think she has!

After the race was finished and Jess and her friend were safely on their way home we went for a walk nearby!  We have often seen a monument on top of a hill whilst passing and wondered what it was, so today as we were close by we went to investigate! 

Once we got up close we discovered it was the John Barrow Monument.  The monument was erected in 1850 in memory of Sir John Barrow, a native of Ulverston. This highly visible memorial - which looks like a huge lighthouse - stands on the summit of Hoad Hill, overlooking the town of Ulverston,The likeness to a lighthouse is intentional; the monument was built to look like the Eddystone Lighthouse. 

There is a staircase of 112 steps up the inside of the monument, leading to lantern chamber, apparently giving wonderful views over Morecambe Bay. Unfortunately due to health and safety issues the monument is currently closed!

The total height of the monument is exactly 100 feet.




We walked about 5 miles in total today with a slight detour as we got lost!

Once home it was time for my 8 mile run as specified on the plan.  I didn't really have the energy to go but decided that since the option was football on the Telly I might as well!

I did 8 miles exactly and I actually enjoyed it and felt better running than I have for quite some time - perhaps the super fast runners inspired me, or maybe the thought of my daughter being faster than me did the trick!

You can view my run here! 

LOOK at those hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment