"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Challenge 24: Morecambe 10K

Friday 9 June 2000

Challenge 24: Morecambe 10K

On Sunday 9th June 2013 I ran in the Morecambe 10K road race.  I had run this race in 2012 so was aware that it wasn't flat as advertised!

I had entered the run on line but still had to collect the timing tag and race bib number at the race HQ, which was situated in the Station Pub!  The race was scheduled to start at 11am.


When I woke up I was relieved to see that it wasn't as hot as it has been and it appeared to be quite good running conditions.  After enjoying a breakfast of porridge and coffee we left Kendal at 9.45am for the 23 mile journey to Morecambe. We had no traffic issues and arrived at the race car park at approximately 10.15am and luckily got the last parking space!  

After parking the car we went into The Station pub where there was 2 queues.  One for pre-registered runners and one for register on the day runners.  I joined the pre-registered queue and waited. It soon became apparent that the register on the day queue was far faster - there appeared to be some problem with some of the on-line bookings.  Luckily when I eventually got to the front my name was there and my number and chip were waiting for me!

I attached my bib number using the safety pins provided and attached the Velcro strap (which was the timing chip) to my ankle.

It was too hot to stay inside so we headed outside, although by now the sun had broken through the clouds and it was beginning to heat up considerably!

We bumped into a running friend who I had a natter to before heading across the road to the Promenade where the start was. We arrived at the start with about 15 minutes to spare, so I could enjoy watching the many warm ups and stretches being performed!


Before I knew it the man with the loud speaker was announcing the race was about to start.  I didn't need to jockey for position as it was a chip timed event so it really didn't matter if I started at the back.  

I was carrying my own drinks bottle as I remembered that last year there was a distict lack of water stations, and being such a hot day I decided I might need it!

With very little ceremony the race started and I was on my way! I was keen to get a PB but definitely wanted to beat last years time. It was much busier than last years race but there was still plenty space to run at a comfortable pace.  There was a small crowd of spectators early on giving encouragement but these soon dwindled out. 




The race started off going along the promenade for the first 1.5 miles, and unbelievably the first water station was at the end of the prom which seemed very early to me, but as I was carrying my own it really didn't matter!

The race went along the prom into Heysham before looping back, all on roads open to traffic.  There was a big car boot sale taking place in Heysham so this made the traffic in this area heavier than expected, but there were plenty Marshall's positioned at all the roads we had to cross so it wasn't an issue for me.  

Although the organisers were advertising the run as fast and flat I still managed to feel a few hills which they hadn't managed to iron out since last year! ;-)  

I found the heat difficult to contend with and was pleased when I turned back onto the promenade for the final push and discovered the second water station at around the 5 mile mark. I was so pleased I had carried my own!

I could feel I was slowing but I really didn't have anything left in my legs to push on! I could see the big polo tower which was close to the finish in the distance but I didn't seem to get any closer to it! 

At this point I could of done with some cheering clapping crowds to urge me on but there wasn't any in sight.  The prom benches housed a few OAP's who were probably wondering what was going on!  Even on the approach to the finish line although there were crowds around no one got into the occasion and there was very little encouragement!

I was delighted to cross the finish timing mat and stopped my garmin.  My garmin read 53:28, not a PB but over a minute faster than last year! However, for some strange reason, I think I must have suffered delusional thoughts brought on by sunstroke as I told everyone I got a PB! Which was a blatant lie!  

My official chip time was 53:26 and I was 6th in my age/sex catergory, 31st female and 134 overall out of 214 runners.  I'm not happy with my time but happy with my overall position!  I didn't do too badly after all! 



I was delighted to receive my medal, and then got a cold albeit small cup of water.

I had finished hot, sweaty and worn out but that's what races are all about! You can view my run here.



After cooling down and watching a few more finishers we headed off home - to be caught up in a traffic jam!  I was not impressed I was hot and sweaty and in desperate need of a shower and food!

No comments:

Post a Comment