"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: How do Triathletes do it?!!!

Monday 27 June 2011

How do Triathletes do it?!!!

I am trying to train for 2 discipline's at the same time - running and cycling - and I am finding it difficult to share my time fairly between the two!  My first love is cycling and I find it very easy to get on my bike and put in the miles!  Running is my ultimate challenge and I have been impressed with my progress in the relatively short time I have been training, but I have to persuade myself to go for a run rather than a ride - once I'm out I'm OK and enjoy it, I'd rather be on my bike when the weather is fine, and out running when its wet!!  I'm going to have a "lazy" week this week as I have the 3 Counties cycle race on Sunday and I need my body to be in its peak condition and according to all the magazines I read fit bodies are not built in the gym but whilst resting!!!  (Good excuse eh?!!), then next week I am going to seriously get into the running training as the Great North Run seems to be rapidly approaching and I still haven't run further than 6 miles!

Several people have told me about the advantages of energy gels, drinks and cereal bars etc whilst exercising so I have relented and invested in a SIS sports fuel energy introduction pack which includes energy drink mixes, gels, cereal bars and recovery drink mixes.  However, now I have it ... I'm not sure if I can really stomach it!  What's wrong with plain old water?!!  Hey-Ho I must give it a go though and fairly soon  - I need to experiment with it before I use it in a racing event just in case my body rebels and has a strange reaction!!

I will keep you informed about my opinion ...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your training. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i heard ron hill on the radio once, he was having a go at modern runners saying he never had water while out running(you see people carrying a bottle) and he was one of the best but everyone is different so i think when you find whats comfortable to you stick to it, good luck

    ReplyDelete