"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Last day of the holidays...

Friday 17 February 2012

Last day of the holidays...

"I can't believe it" (as Victor Meldrew would say)  that a week has gone by already!  Usually its "Phewww, it's Friday at last, today it was "awwwww it's Friday already!"


But hey-ho, did I do all I had planned?!  Well, not really! 


 I had envisioned lots of nice long walks with the dog in preparation for the Keswick to Barrow walk (in 85 days) and lots of nice long runs in preparation for the Liverpool Half Marathon (in 30 days eeek).


So what did I get up to...?


Well, my husband has been working away all week so its been nice not to be woken up in the morning during the holidays (Zzzzzzzzz).  


On Monday I had a girlie shopping day in Manchester with a friend, although not much shopping went on, mainly gossiping, drinking coffee, eating and drinking wine (what are holidays for?!) 


On Tuesday I managed to fight past the pile of valentine cards on the mat (not) to go for a 8.83 mile run, then later a couple miles walk with the dog!


On Wednesday I had a lovely day with my daughter having a makeover photoshoot!  I never knew having a photo taken could be such fun, waiting very impatiently to see the photographs now!  Later I went for a 5.88 mile walk with the dog!


On Thursday I went to the running workshop,see yesterdays blog if you missed it (keep scrolling down the page until you see It's Official!), then I met my Mum for lunch and did a bit of shopping .


On Friday (oh yeah that's today!) I went for a lovely sunny 9.35 mile walk with the dog, then later went for a rather wet and miserable 5.49 miles run and got road  path rage!  Some people have NO idea!  The first thing I came across was someone stopping me to ask the way to the pub, surely its not PC to stop a runner in action for directions especially not to the pub (although I could and did help through gritted teeth!), another problem I encountered was idiots texting and not looking where they are going, preventing innocent running pedestrians passing, I hope none of them could lip read! THEN there was the usual brolly problem, because it was raining torrentially I was rammed and battered by several brolly's who's owners had there heads down and didn't care about the rest of the world Grrrrrrr, to add insult to injury there was the usual idiotic drivers heading for the biggest puddles to drench pedestrians and also big groups of teenagers barring the paths whilst standing around with nothing better to do, I felt like shouting "Go home its raining!".  Anyhow after muttering obscenities and keeping my fingers under control I finally made it home - drenched right through to my knickers!  I wasn't a happy bunny, especially after the day started off with such fab weather - I thought spring had sprung!  I knew it was too good to be true!  


On Saturday (that's tomorrow!) I am going back to Manchester with my daughter and her friend to have another shop (hopefully I will this time, as I desperately need new trainers!) and then to see the rather lovely Olly Murs at the MEN!  There IS some advantages about having a teenage daughter!

On Sunday I'm hoping to fit in a nice long run, then I suppose I will have to face the planning work I have been avoiding all week!! I could always just wing it - I'm sure the kids wouldn't notice...!


Just realised that that sounded like my own version of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar story!!!"


So you see not much running or walking going on - I've decided I'm too busy to work, its getting in the way of me enjoying life!!  BUT only 6 weeks until the Easter Holidays and I'm off to NEW YORK, I can't wait - soooo excited!


2012 Miles in 2012.  How's it going...?

Well I have forgotten to keep you updated on my year long challenge of completing 2012 miles in 2012!  Ideally I would like to achieve this through running and walking but I think this will be too challenging so as a safety net I included cycling too!  Who knows I might just do it without the cycling if I set my mind to it!



I have set myself a target of approximately 38.50 miles a week worked out mathematically as follows: 

2012 / 366 days =  5.50  average miles per day
5.50 miles  x 7 days =  38.50 average miles per week.


I am keeping two totals at the moment - one including running, walking and cycling, whilst the other includes just running and walking.  At the end of the year I can see which challenge I have managed - or not as the case may be.


So to date there has been 49 days in 2012 (including today!) which means ideally I should have completed 269.50 miles to be on track - have I?


The answer is Yes and No!!!  Yes if you include cycling, no if you don't!  But I'm not far off!!







Target= 269.50 miles


Actual Mileage Achieved to date:

3 sports =   271.70 miles    =  1740.30 Miles Remaining


2 sports =   259.40 miles     = 1752.60 Miles Remaining


Why don't you join me in the challenge? I have had many excuses from people of why they can't do it including not having a fancy Garmin or I-phone to record mileage.  STOP right there, you don't need one!  All you need is the internet, which you have or you wouldn't be reading this and the motivation to do it!


Step 1:  Register on the Running free  website. (IT's FREE!)
Step 2:  Join my group 2012 miles in 2012 on Running Free (ALSO FREE!)
Step 3: WALK, RUN OR CYCLE
Step 4: Record your activity on the running free website by logging in and then clicking "add" at the top of the screen.  A drop down menu (add training) will appear with several options.  Select the device you have used to record your training and follow instructions.  DON'T PANIC if you don't have a fancy device - select "direct" in the drop down menu and manually input your mileage.  I am trusting you not to cheat! There are many websites such as Runfinder on which you can plot your route onto a map and it will tell you the correct mileage. 
Step 5: Encourage and motivate your fellow group members and compare your mileages!


I fully appreciate that this challenge is now 49 days in, but you can still participate by logging training you have already completed (i.e backdate it!) or start from TODAY and work extra hard!




- you know you want to! 

1 comment:

  1. What a busy week, you'll never have time to go back to work. lol

    ReplyDelete