"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Experimenting with Heart Rate Training!

Thursday 6 June 2013

Experimenting with Heart Rate Training!

After coming away from my V02 max test fully versed in heart rate training zones I decided to give it a go!

I usually concentrate on my pace when running and although I always wear a HR monitor I never bother with it whilst running, although I spend hours analysing it afterwards!


These are my training zones based on my Heart Rate.



So last night as soon as I finished work I decided to go on my long slow run of a 2 hour duration!  I switched my garmin to show my Heart Rate and wrote on my hand the range I was supposed to stay within for long runs.

I aimed to keep my heart rate around the 70% of maximum mark which is in the extensive training zone!

This zone is described in the blurb I was given as "forms basic stamina and increases the tolerance level with respect to longer periods of physical exertion.  The typical length of an extensive training session is 45 minutes or more".

The route I did was fairly hilly and I haven't done it in a long time because of that!  However, I have decided not to be a wimp and make hills my friends from now on!  It was another lovely sunny evening and I really enjoyed this run!  Perhaps as I was running slower I could enjoy it more? Who knows!

Once home and I analysed my data I realised I had run 11.63 miles but much slower than normal at an average pace of 10.06 minute miles and had an average heart rate of 152 BPM which is NOT within the training zone I was aiming for. However it's not too far off!  I should have kept a HR between 136 BPM and 149 BPM!

Perhaps because I was doing hills my heart rate was showing a higher average!  If I had stayed on the flat maybe I would have succeeded!

I felt like I was running incredibly slowly keeping at this heart rate, to keep it even lower I would have to be walking!!  Now I am just all confused! You can view my run here.


I will try another Heart Rate Run and see what happens!

After my 2 hour run last night I decided I needed to give my legs a rest from running and went to Pilates for a stretch instead!  I feel so much better for it!





No comments:

Post a Comment