"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: LSR - I DID IT!

Wednesday 29 January 2014

LSR - I DID IT!

I had a 18 mile run to fit in today as due to a very busy weekend I won't have time to do it on its proper day!

So....

After finishing work at 3:30pm I drove straight home, had a very quick peanut butter sandwich to energise me, got changed into my running gear, packed my gels and drinks and had left the house by 4pm - not bad going!

I didn't really have a route in mind but I knew I would be restricted to lit areas when the light faded so for the first 6 miles I headed out on country roads before heading back into the residential areas in time for the darkness to descend!

At 6 miles I had a gel and was feeling fine. At 10 miles I had a mini mars bar and a couple of jelly babies.  All was still going well until at about 12 miles I got really strong stomach pains. My stomach griped and gurgled and I knew exactly what was coming! Luckily for me (and anyone nearby!) I was near Morrison's so was able to dash in to use the conveniences! I tried to look inconspicuous so as not to get thrown out for not shopping!

After this near disaster my stomach settled down and felt fine but I didn't dare risk any more food or gels even though by 14 miles I felt I needed some sustenance!

I made it home after doing 17.5 miles! 

On another day I would have gone round the block to make it up to the 18 but there was no way I could persuade my legs to keep running another half mile when the house was right there!

After a day at work and a bit of a dodgy stomach I was delighted to have run as far as I did albeit extremely slowly. 

My pace was a pathetic average 10:43 minute mile, but to be fair to myself I haven't had my full rest days since my last LSR!

It's all good mental attitude training!  When the going gets tough the tough keep going!!

I think for future long runs I will stick to gels and see what happens.  My stomach definitely didn't appreciate the mars bar and jelly babies mix tonight - or was it the peanut butter sandwich?!

No comments:

Post a Comment