"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Wow! I did it! Week 3 Marathon Training commences in the Dominican Republic!

Monday 21 July 2014

Wow! I did it! Week 3 Marathon Training commences in the Dominican Republic!

Wow I did it!

Despite excessive quantities of food and alcoholic beverages I got up at 6am and after getting dressed in my running gear I headed out for my first ever run whilst being on holiday. I left my husband sleeping soundly and bravely headed out alone.

Although my training plan stated a 5 mile run at a 8:40 to 8:50 minute mile pace I had no intention of killing myself in the heat to achieve this. I was happy just to run and enjoy it!

I had no idea where I was going but thought that due to my ineffective inbuilt homing device I had best stay on the complex or risk never being seen again. Before leaving I wrote my block and room number on my arm - just in case dehydration, heat exhaustion or just plain stupidity caused severe memory loss!

The hotel complex is huge with a 9000 guest capacity and has numerous blocks all which look identical to one another so I was fairly sceptical about finding my way back.  There was a running route marked on the map of the complex which looked to be about a mile in length and I planned to follow it.

When I set off firmly clutching my water bottle it was only 6:15am and the sun thankfully wasn't too hot at this time in the morning!, The only other people I came across were hotel staff making there way to work!

I thought I was following the running route and periodically checked the map boards when I happened upon them (there are many scattered around the complex) and despite a big you are here arrow on each I still managed to go wrong somehow and ended up out the complex and running around the local golf course.

Despite being slightly worried about getting totally lost I enjoyed running in unfamiliar territory exploring what the resort had to offer!  I was stopped in 3 places by different security guards however which slightly unnerved me.  Twice I was told in broken English that I was not allowed any further and to turn back, and once I was allowed to continue when I smiled sweetly and said the name of my hotel.  I was praying I didn't end up going round in circles and revisiting the same guards in case they thought I was taking the Mick rather than being genuinely lost!   

I made it safely back to the complex after 50 minutes running, and even located my room fairly easily.  By this point the sun had really heated up and other more normal people were starting to get up and head for breakfast. I felt ever so slightly conspicuous dressed in my wet through running gear looking an  extremely sweaty mess amongst these fresh looking holidaymakers.

I managed 5:04  miles at an average 9:37 min mile pace.  I really feel I have achieved something today just by the pure fact I got up and ran!

My husband was still sleeping soundly on my return and was oblivious to the fact I had run at all!. I was very conscious about rehydrating adequately, and after downing several glasses of water I rewarded myself with a cold shower and went back to bed! 

One positive was returning to a lovely cold air conditioned room.

What a  fab way to start the day!

After a hard day sunbathing on the beach, swimming in the sea, eating and drinking at around 4:20pm we decided to go for another walk along the beach.  This time we turned right to see what was this way.  

We passed a couple getting married on the beach and came to what looked like a shanty town but it was in fact a row of run down beach hut type shops selling tacky souvenirs and fake designer goods!  

They were positioned so close to the sea that they were built on stilts!  We kept walking  for 45 minutes before turning round to return back to the hotel.  Altogether our stroll along the beach took us an hour and a half and we walked approximately 4.31 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment