"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: BIG Mistake - I joined a running club!

Tuesday 8 November 2011

BIG Mistake - I joined a running club!

A friend who I met at Pilates and Steps class is a member of Helm Runners in Kendal and persuaded me to go along as it would be a good way to improve my running speed!!  She said that they ran at recovery speed rather than race speed so I wouldn't find it too fast!  She also said that they have a motto "We never leave anyone behind!".  Luckily for me another friend came along with me and it was only whilst waiting in the foyer of the sports centre we were told that there was a "slow" running group which had left 15 minutes earlier!  We were mortified at being left with the "elite" runners!

We were told we'd be fine and we decided to stay at the back of the group!  We were off - like a rat out of a trap - and by the time we got to the top of the first hill we were way behind!  Feeling sorry for the newcomers the rest of the group waited for us to catch up, and then placed someone behind us to round us up!!  It was the most humiliating experience of my life, I'd much rather have been left to make our own way at our own pace!! Determined as they were not to leave us at first; eventually the majority of the group did, leaving the leader to coax us along at a more appropriate speed for us!!

We made it back to the sports centre after completing a 5 mile circuit, feeling totally unfit, useless and with very little running confidence left! However, we did manage to laugh at ourselves and have vowed to give the "slow" group a go next Monday night!!  If they are still too fast for me I will be giving up my running career completely because my sub 2 hour half marathon goal is unrealistic!

I will let you know how we fair ...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment