"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: A run in the sun - sort of!

Saturday 25 February 2012

A run in the sun - sort of!

Well, I got up this morning and it was another beautiful morning.  I had already decided that today was going to be my long run day as I'm out tonight and didn't fancy running a long run after a boozy night out with the girls! However, as it turned out I did my long run today after a boozy night IN with the girls on Facebook - not ideal but character building stuff!

My plan of action was to set out mid morning, but I was forced out the house earlier due to my 16 year old daughter driving me demented trying to get One Direction Concert tickets!  She's obsessed with them (or should I say with Harry!) and has only just been to see them! I luckily escaped the stressful situation.  I left the house with a smug smile and a wave at my husband shouting over my shoulder "See ya in 2 hours, have fun!" as I ran out the door! (Another benefit of running!  Ideal excuse to escape mayhem!).

I wanted to do a half marathon distance today and had a route worked out in my head!  I set off basking in the glorious morning sun, listening to the birds tweeting and inhaling all the glorious fresh air!  I had already disposed of my hat and gloves last week, but I think perhaps now is the time for my fleecy tights to go too - I was sweating cobs!  At least all the nasty alcoholic toxins will now be expelled from my system, leaving it free for me to corrupt again this evening!  I felt dreadful for the first couple of miles and even considered cutting my route short but knew I'd be cross with myself if I did so I plodded on!  Once I got into my stride I felt a little better, and then after about 7 miles the sun decided to hide behind some dark clouds and I felt more comfortable and less sweaty! Note to self - wear less layers on sunny days!


As I approached home I had a sneaky look at my Garmin and realised that if I ran just a little faster for the last mile I would get a sub 2 hour half marathon!  My legs weren't cooperating at all with this, so I didn't quite manage a sub 2 - this time! I did it in 2 hours 3 minutes - 3 weeks to shave off 3 minutes!  Doable or not?  Perhaps I'm saving myself for the real deal in 3 weeks!  

Talking of which once I got home my Liverpool Half Marathon information pack, including my race number was waiting for me!  I'm number 52 - I'm hoping there is more than 52 runners or I might just end up last!   
I was slightly disappointed with the inferior quality and colour of the number compared with the Great North Run's one but as long as the chip on it records me accurately and under 2 hours I will be happy! 

Another positive was when I got home my daughter had managed to get good seats for the One Direction Tour (its not until March 2013) but life's good in the Wallace household!  Phew I think I may have left home if she hadn't got them!  After a shower, rest and lunch I went for a 4.86 mile "recovery walk" with my husband and dog to stretch my muscles! The sun was still hiding but it stayed dry although the dark clouds that followed us looked ominous! 

Anyhow, off out tonight with the girlies, so time to swap my trainers for my dancing shoes!  I think I may need the assistance of a little wine tonight before my legs are willing and able to strut their stuff!

You can view my activities here - My half Marathon distance run! and My Recovery Walk! unfortunately I don't think my Garmin will work on the dance floor so you can't view tonight's activities!!  Now there's a thought - I wonder what would happen if I did...! 


No comments:

Post a Comment