"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Let the K2B training commence...

Saturday 24 March 2012

Let the K2B training commence...

Seven weeks to go until the Keswick to Barrow walk and I finally got round to going on a "long walk" as part of my training! I couldn't have picked a better day - the weather has been glorious, if not a tad too warm for walking! 


I don't like being too organised when it comes to walking, I enjoy going where the mood takes me and where ever possible trying out new routes. I think of these walks as an "exploratory sightseeing trip!" Today I knew I was going to head to Killington Lake, which is about 7 miles away but beyond that I had no idea!  Whilst I was doing long training walks last year I continuously got lost so today I sensibly took a map (not that I have much idea how to read one mind!).  By the time I got to Killington Lake I was starving! Although it was only quarter to 12, I decided to have an early lunch stop as the setting was idyllic and peaceful.  
Perfect lunch spot at Killington Lake!  I could have just sat here all day - pity I didn't have a book!
Whilst eating my lunch I took the opportunity to have a look at the map to see where I could go from here! At the end of the lake there was a right turn and a left turn, I have been left from here many times before so made the decision to go right.  I didn't sit down for long (although would have loved to) and was soon on my way again. I soon came across another left turn which I had never been down before so keenly went this way to investigate further.  I can't believe how much fun a grown woman can have taking photographs of her own shadow but believe me it kept me entertained for a fair distance!  I had a very "blonde moment" when I was trying to fit my entire shadow in the photo, so what did I do?  I stopped and waited for my shadow to walk on further so I could take a photo from a distance - durrrrrrr!  I laughed out loud at how utterly unbelievably and momentarily stupid I had been!  I was just glad there wasn't anyone with me to witness this moment!

Does my bum look big in this?! lol
(this is actually my bag NOT my bum!)



I came to another road end, and another decision to make!  I decided to go the way that lead up a steep hill (stupid I know!) but whilst out cycling I had often wondered where this led but could never quite face tackling it! So here I was at the top of the steep hill that appeared to have brought me onto a "long and winding road!" After several miles I was beginning to think I was on the "road to nowhere!"  It seemed to take me forever to join another road and to get to a place I was familiar with! However, I would definitely go back on this road on my bike but  in reverse (to experience the down-hills and not the up-hills I did today!) - I never saw another person or vehicle the entire time - just horses, sheep and lambs! 







By mile 17 I was getting bored with walking and decided to add a little jog into the mix!  I enjoyed the change in tempo and it seemed to rejuvenate me a little. 

After walking for over 5 and a half hours and covering more than 21 miles I was pleased that the sun was still shining when I got home so I could sit and relax in the garden!  View my walk here.


I need to fit a few more long walks in before the day somehow!  Keep in touch and see how I get on!

















No comments:

Post a Comment