"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Its Thursday again - how did that happen?

Thursday 19 April 2012

Its Thursday again - how did that happen?

                                                                                My life seems to be passing me by in a flash - I can't believe it's Thursday again so soon!!  Once upon a time I was so committed to running and updating this blog - NOW I'm just a total failure at both!! So a week has passed and what have I been doing with myself?!  I have done a couple of long walks in preparation for the K2B walk (now only 3 weeks away!). The first was on Friday! I set off at 8.30am with my sandwiches packed and my map securely attached to me (Fed up of getting lost!) and headed off on a bright sunny but extremely cold morning along the canal path to Tewitfield (13 miles from Kendal).  It was a lovely walk apart from several not too friendly swans who I kept coming across on numerous occasions!  I had my lunch at the end of the canal in the sun then set off back home. Whilst eating my dinner I studied my map as I wanted to return home via a different route.  I planned it out and felt fairly confident I knew where I was going!  However, after a few miles I decided I didn't like the road I was on as it was fairly busy but narrow and I seemed to be wearing my invisibility cloak again so at the next turn off I diverted.  I actually got my map out at this point to make sure I was still going in the general direction of home and was delighted to see I was, however I was not so delighted when about 2 miles further on I found myself BACK on the canal path I had previously been on.  So all my good intentions went out the window and I ended up returning home mainly by retracing my steps and passing yet again the gaggle (?) of angry swans!  On a positive note I didn't get lost and I didn't get wet! I was disappointed that my Garmin watch ran out of battery before I got home (I don't think I had fully charged it!) but I did do 28 miles so I was happy!  My only concern was I was knackered walking that distance - how on earth am I going to run 26 miles in the Chester marathon?!!! On Saturday I had a rest/recovery day, before hitting the streets again for another long walk on Sunday!  I had an awful night's sleep Saturday night and was wide awake at 6am so I decided Sod it and got up!  I was out walking by 6.30am and was amazed to see thick frost on all the cars and gardens!!  It's middle of April for God's Sake.  Luckily I had my gloves with me and I wasn't too cold!  Apart from a little blip in the middle where I went several miles to cover about 1 mile I didn't get lost!  I was quite proud of my navigation skills!  One good think about setting off so early was I was home by 2 o'clock drinking beer and watching telly feeling I deserved it after walking 27 miles.! MONDAY saw me back at school with the chocolate overdosed tribe (and that's just the teachers!!).  I had a rest day Monday evening, then on Tuesday I went to my usual Steps class.  On Wednesday a woman at work asked me if I would go running with her daughter who had just returned home after being at uni and was missing her running buddies. So 5.30 Wednesday evening I met Vicky for the first time who was extremely tall with long legs and I was slightly worried that she would be like a greyhound and I would be more like a pug!  However, all was well and we had a good chat, put the world to rights and managed a slowish 4.7 miles. We have another date next week - its nice to have a buddy!  Whilst we were running she told me she was a member of the Hash House Harriers (who I have never heard of!) and apparently there is a local group which she is going to on Sunday! 
If it is any good I might join and go along!  What attracts me to this club?!   WELL there logo is "A club for drinkers with a running problem!!!"  What more can I say - That's ME!!!

A good stretch at Pilates tonight and now rest for me until Saturday when I am running the St Georges Day Langdale 10KM run!  I have never done an official 10K race before but I would like to aim for a sub 55 minute finishing time!  However, I do believe it is a fairly hilly course and the weather forecast is a bit dire so with the odds stacked against me I will just have to suck it and see!




I will keep you updated with my race results!  Bring it on!!




No comments:

Post a Comment