"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Day 2 Juneathon

Sunday 3 June 2012

Day 2 Juneathon

I'm finally getting around to blogging about yesterdays run (just within the 24 hours timescale!!).

I was going to Carlisle yesterday on the train to meet friends for lunch so I decided to only option would be to go for my run beforehand!  I decided I would do a circuit I have done a couple of times before and see if I could work on my speed rather than distance.  Going earlier in the day meant the weather was less humid than it has been!  To make the run slightly more interesting I did the route in reverse - I didn't think this would effect me comparing times - but in hindsight I think it will as the hills are different types of hills at each end of the route!  Yes I know all hills go up but one hill goes up slightly for a longer distance and the other hill goes up steeply but for a short distance.  Stupidly I ended up going in the direction so that I was going up the short steep hill!!  Anyhow, all was going well and I was on target with my pace until ... the fat family (consisting of Mum, Dad, surly Teenage daughter and 2 twining under 5's all bordering on obese) decided to block my path (There was no going round and I certainly wasn't risking going through!!), I stopped with a fake smile (grimace) on my face and all they wanted were directions to the local park.

I tried to quickly give directions so I could be on my way, but they were having none of it! They repeated my directions S-L-O-W-L-Y  back to me to confirm they were correct before parting the way for me to continue!  I noticed at this point that Mr Fat was carrying a huge picnic hamper, and since it was only 9am at this point I assume they were going to find the park, sit in the sun and munch there way through the contents of the hamper to keep them going until lunchtime ...  Anyway who am I to judge other people lifestyles, each to their own!  I set back on my journey trying to make up for lost time, but felt despondent knowing I now wouldn't get a good time (yes I know - call me competitive!). I made it home with no further mishaps to discover I was a minute slower than last time ... gggrrrrr annoying!! In hindsight I should have said "Yes no problem ... I'll take you ... follow me!!!"  The run would have done them all good!!

 Day 2 Juneathon

Run done and I jumped in the shower and got ready to catch the train to Carlisle ... now what a fiasco that was!  Good old British Rail!  When I got to the station the arrivals board said "on time", with 6 minutes to go.  I heaved a sigh of relief as you never know with BR and found a nice seat in the sun.  A couple minutes later I looked again at the board ... this time 10 minutes delayed, then 20 minutes delayed, then 45 minutes delayed, then an hour delayed ... It got to the point that I didn't dare look at the board and was deciding if there was any point still going as I was meeting friends for lunch and by the time I got there it would be teatime!  I was busy texting my friends to keep them posted when a train suddenly arrived in the station with the announcement "This is the delayed Glasgow train!" (MY train!) so with a smile on my face I jumped on to be greeted with no seats and blocked aisles with 100's of people standing and suitcases. I found a standing place and waiting for the train to move ... 2 minutes ... 4 minutes ... 6 minutes (bearing in mind it was a hot sunny day for once in the Lake District and we were packed in like sardines!) eventually an announcement HURRAY!  "This is NOT the delayed Glasgow train but the 3 hour delayed Edinburgh train!", talk about panic in the troops, everyone who had struggled to get on with suitcases were fighting to get off again!  I was muttering under my breath whilst getting off the train until the announcement continued "This train will be stopping in Carlisle!" phew back on again!!

I managed to make it to Carlisle in perfect time to meet my friends although I did have to stand the entire journey! Annoying when you pay for a seat - and it isn't a cheap way to travel!   Anyhow a fab afternoon was had by all and I somehow managed to make it back to the station (after several bottles of wine!) to be greeted on the arrivals board with "By BUS!". If I wanted to travel by bus I would book a bus!  Deep breath - at least it was on time and the journey was only an hour longer than on the train!!!!  Hey Ho no wonder people don't like BR!!



So plan of action today?  Day 3!  Its not such a pleasant day today and I've got loads to do (shopping, cleaning, baking ...) for our Jubilee BBQ tomorrow!  Fingers crossed this rain dries up and the sun shines!  I will do my chores and will run later today when the rain has stopped (here's hoping!!).

Catch you later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment