"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Day 24 Juneathon! Marathon watching!

Sunday 24 June 2012

Day 24 Juneathon! Marathon watching!

This time next week it will be July and Juneathon will be over for another year! Only 6 more days to survive and then I can REST!  Up until now I have felt fine with this running everyday lark but by Jove I am absolutely exhausted today! 


This morning I got up and checked the weather forecast (sad I know!) and according to the met office we were going to experience sunshine and clouds all day but NO RAIN!  I decided to get my run out the way early on then I didn't have to think about fitting it in later in the day! I set off just in my cropped leggings and vest top and was pleasantly surprised after the awful weather of late how warm it was! Until  that is... 2 miles into my run the heavens decided to open and I got drenched!  NOT what the met office forecast! However, it was just a short sharp shower and once I was soaked to the skin it stopped just as abruptly as it started!  I was also having a problem with my music - I have 6 running albums on my I-pod which I listen to on a shuffle system, however, today for some reason these albums had disappeared off my I-pod (teenagers to blame perhaps?!) so I set the shuffle to randomly select from my entire music library.  This worked well for the first 3 or 4 miles when it selected upbeat songs some of which I hadn't listened to for a while so was a pleasant change, but then I think my I-pod got depressed and every song selected was a slow romantic love song - not ideal running music. I kept putting off changing it convincing myself that the next song would be more appropriate - unfortunately I spent more than half the run listening to music that is made to cry to not run to!  Although I was running on roads and footpaths it was more like fighting my way through the jungle - dodging, ducking and jumping to avoid overgrown hedgerows, nettles,low hanging branches and fallen trees!  I made it home in one piece after running 8.58 miles. This run can be viewed here. I have called it the Bypass circuit not because I needed a bypass afterwards but because it goes alongside the bypass, although feeling as I do now a Bypass is maybe not a bad idea!


After a shower and something to eat we set off to Lancaster to watch the finishers in the Lancaster Marathon!  In only 104 days (15 weeks) I will be running my very first Marathon in Chester and thought I would have a glimpse into the world I will soon be a part of!  Funnily enough, this is the first time I have attended a race as a spectator and I found it strangely emotional clapping, cheering and watching all the runners finishing this astonishing distance.  I was amazed to see what an eclectic mix of people enter these runs, all shapes, sizes, ages and running styles!  A fabulous opportunity to people watch!  We arrived just as the 3 hour 20 minute runners were finishing and many of them looked like they had just been for a stroll around the block!  I was amazed also by the number of runners who could still find something deep within them to finish with a sprint!  I'm not sure whether watching has helped or hindered my very nervous disposition and I do keep wondering how I managed to get myself into this lark!  Hey-ho if I train well I am sure to finish, and I'm going to try not to get too obsessed with "a time". This week following my training plan religiously I have run 26 miles - now the aim is to reduce running 26 miles in 7 days down to a more respectable 5 hours! 


After I had clapped until my hands were sore we went for a short stroll along the river Lune at Lancaster in the beautiful afternoon sun and not a dark cloud in sight! 2.89 sunny walking miles which can be viewed here!


A busy weekend and back to work tomorrow!  Definitely an early night tonight!

Juneathon's total so far:
  • Running  - 94.7 miles 
  • Swimming -  1.3 miles 
  • Biking -  62.5 miles 
  • Walking -  29.9 miles 
  • Rowing- 3.1 miles
  • Total - 191.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment