"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: I'm ready - or as ready as I can be!

Saturday 25 August 2012

I'm ready - or as ready as I can be!


Yeah, after lots of debating I have finally decided on my race day clothes and trainers for tomorrow’s half marathon! 

And with just 42 days to go until the Chester Marathon, it’s time to start thinking about my fuelling strategy and race day plan for it.  During my previous Half Marathons I have only used Dextrose energy tablets every 3 miles or so.  However, I have realised that I will not survive the marathon fully intact on this strategy and I need to have a better fuelling strategy in place, so it’s time to change!

I will start this change tomorrow with using gels during my half marathon race! It’s time to put all my research and experimentation into practise.  Although I have never used gels during an actual race I have experimented with many types during both my long training runs and my long cycle rides.  After experimenting with many different makes and flavours I have come to favour the high5 range of energy gels.  I appear to have a strong gag reflex and find it difficult to swallow unpleasant things!  (I would rather be ill than take medicine!)  However, I have tried to overcome this to benefit my running.  After lots of experimenting with gels I can tell you some are so thick and gloopy I found them near impossible to get down (and keep down!) and some just taste plain foul! In my opinion, the best out of a bad lot are the High5 range of products!

The sachets are fairly easy to open, and although I am unable to squirt the entire contents into my mouth at once (gag reflex won't permit this!) I do manage to slowly finish the gel in several smaller gulps.  The only downside to this strategy is the gel often dribbles down the outside of the sachet and I end up with extremely sticky fingers for the rest of the run.  A small price to pay to improve my running performance!

So... tomorrow’s strategy will include taking a gel prior to the run to ensure my carbohydrates levels are fully stocked and then taking another at around the 6 or 7 mile mark depending on how I feel.

I have also been taking recovery shakes after my long runs and find these work exceptionally well and have prevented me suffering muscle aches and pains the day after!  My favourite recovery shake is maxi-muscle chocolate maxi milk (the strawberry is nice too!). The first striking thing about Maximilk is it that it genuinely tastes like chocolate (or strawberry) milkshake, and is especially nice when well chilled! There's no dodgy aftertaste and I have no bloatedness  or stomach cramps afterwards! As this should be taken without 20 minutes of finishing exercise I will take one with me tomorrow to drink in the car on the way home!

So...
fuelling strategy sorted – tick
recovery sorted – tick
outfit sorted – tick
trainers sorted - tick
safety pins - tick
garmin fully charged - tick

I’m ready for you sub 1:57 Half Marathon, 
I’m coming to get you!

No comments:

Post a Comment