"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Inspirational!

Saturday 25 August 2012

Inspirational!

Yesterday I watched a film and finished reading a book - both very different but both inspirational!!

Lets talk about the film first!  Run Fat Boy Run!  I have wanted to watch this for a while but never actually got round to it until last night!  Perhaps having a Half Marathon on Sunday somehow wormed its way through the crowd into my psyche hence watching it!

Anyhow, Run fat Boy Run!  What a hilarious film for anyone who loves running (or even those who don't!)! I laughed out loud (lots), I cried, I winced, I cheered the underdog and boo-ed the villain! The old romantic in me also enjoyed the love story aspect too!  I am currently training for a marathon so I think watching this man attempt to train made it even funnier for me and I felt I could empathize with him! After suffering during my 20 mile long run last week and experiencing "hitting the wall" for the first time I found this films analogy of this fabulous! I think this film may just against the odds inspire the depressed, the unfit and the demoralized to grit their teeth and keep running! I know I will think about him the next time I'm struggling - he never gave up so neither will I! Although Thank God I have never had a blister like the one he had - a truly laugh out loud and scream at the same time moment! 

Now onto a much more serious note!  

For the last week I have been immersed in a book - and yes you've guessed it - its about running! 

The book in question is "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner"  By Dean Karnazes and what an inspirational read!  I can not believe how much the human body can actually suffer and I have come to realise that I am far too gentle with mine! 

The writer's endurance is extraordinary, and he emphasizes how mental strength becomes more important than physical strength in long races. I have often said this when I have returned from a run - usually when I've had a bad run its because I've convinced myself I can't without there actually being any evidence of such! I need a more positive head!

He communicates his emotions in an exceptional way and I really felt that I was on each run with him. It was funny, crazy, sad and most of all inspiring - this bloke is immense and he's pushed his body to it's limits and beyond. After reading this I have come to realise that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and that you should never put any limitations on yourself. One quote from the book that I love and can see in myself is:

 "The highest form of competition is self-competition, and I was proving to be the cruelest of opponents, ruthlessly demanding more of myself..."

I have been so inspired by this man I have ordered another book he has written about his running antics and can't wait for it to arrive!

Now for some of that positive mental attitude! 

Tomorrow I AM going to get a PB in my half marathon but I just can't decide which weapon of choice (Trainers) to wear!  I have several, (I sneak them into the house past my husbands shaking head) and they all have positives and negatives!  My favourite trainers are my Innov8 233's but because they are my favorites they are now a little worn!  I keep meaning to buy another pair but haven't got round to it yet and its too late now for tomorrow!  

Another pair I like are the same make but women's specific (don't know why they are different!) Innov8 X238's.  Slightly heavier with more cushioning but just as comfy and as good to run in!

I  have a couple of pairs of Asics which I hate for running in and have relegated to exercise classes only!  I also have a pair of Asics Nimbus which I got specifically for marathon training!  As I said I don't like Asics but the little man in the shop convinced me these were the ones to run a marathon in!  They feel like I am wearing lead wellies but I suppose due to the distance involved they need more cushioning (therefore are heavier) but I struggle to feel motivated whilst wearing them!  I should really wear them for a half marathon and see how it goes before the big one in Chester - but not tomorrow! Tomorrow I'm PB chasing so want my friends with me!
Innov8 X238





Innov8 233 (Same shoe but mine certainly don't look like this anymore!) 
Its between these 2 for tomorrow - I just can't decide! If the orange ones were in a better condition I wouldn't even think about it but as a hole has appeared in the cushioning in the back of the heel I'm a little unsure ...!

Oh decisions, decisions!





No comments:

Post a Comment