"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: PLAN B put into action!

Saturday 8 September 2012

PLAN B put into action!

As I said the other day my Plan A of running like the wind to keep up with the man in front didn't work so last night it was time to test Plan B!

Plan B: slow and steady wins the race!

I feel saintly! My first full week back at school after the Summer Holidays and I still managed to do a long run last night!

I was tired when I left school after a week of settling newbie 4 year old's into the way "we do things!" aka "adults in charge, NOT children!" but I had decided I was going to do my long run after work so I could relax over the weekend.

I got home from work at 3.45pm and went straight upstairs to get changed (before I had any second thoughts!) I had a quick snack of dates and a drink  and then forced down an energy gel.  As it was a fairly warm and sunny evening I decided I needed to carry more than one hand held water bottle with me to ensure I stayed adequately hydrated and had enough to wash down all the energy gels I was planning on consuming on route.  I decided to take with me my waist bladder bag!  I have only ever used this whilst either walking long distances or cycling long distances so running with this was a first!

Inov8 Race Pro 4 Waist Pack
Inov8 H2Orizontal Hydration Bladder (2 Litre)

The bladder holds 2 litres and I filled it full of water and positioned it comfortably around my waist! Even with the bladder in the waist pack there is still plenty room to store my other essentials such as gels, phone, tissues etc.

By 4 o clock I was ready ... and off I set. My training plan stipulated a 22 mile run. I didn't really have a route planned but thought I would run where the feeling took me then at 11 miles turn round and come home! 

At first it was a strange sensation running with the bladder sloshing around behind me and felt heavy!  I suppose its like running with a bottle of coke attached to your waist so it's going be heavy! Anyhow once I got used to the feeling it felt OK to run with AND on a positive note it got easier the further I ran as it got lighter!

I unintentionally picked a fairly hilly route which probably made the 22 miles feel more like 26 miles! I wanted to go slow and steady to ensure I finished feeling fairly confident and with carrying my bladder I didn't have an option! 

I kept to quiet country roads and seems to get into the zone and just kept on plodding.  At 11 miles I decided not to return home the same way but to try and do a circular route and kept on running.  At 13 miles because I was running at a much slower pace than I usually do I felt as fresh as a daisy! At 18 miles I started to fear the wall but it didn't come! At 21 miles I was delighted to be heading home!

After 3 hours 56 minutes of plodding I made it home.  I felt fine and I think I could squeeze another 4 miles out my legs on the day!  Here's hoping! To view my run click here. 

I was just short of the 22 miles but was pleased with the 21.72 miles I did do! I feel relieved that I have finished my last long run - until the day!

Once home I had my chocolate recovery drink,  I endured a short ice bath because my body seemed to have an adverse reaction to this today and I shivered violently which didn't happen previously and put on my sexy compression socks. 




Then time for a nice G & T! Arrrrrrrr Bliss -  my reward!





I woke up this morning amazed to be able to walk and with NO aches and pains!  

Was it the ice bath?
The Chocolate recovery drink?
The compression socks which I wore all night?

or .... all 3!

Feeling much more confident that I will finish the Marathon now but not sure in what time!

BRING IT ON!



No comments:

Post a Comment