"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: I want to RUN ...

Tuesday 22 January 2013

I want to RUN ...

I don’t like being injured obviously.  No one does.

But ... “Tis better to have run and got injured then to never run at all”.


I am going crazy with having so much time on my hands and not being able to fill it with running, cycling, swimming or walking! 
I know that when people hear of my recent ankle injury and discover I did it running they will say  “That’s why I don’t run” or “Running isn't good for you" 0r "I told you it was dangerous".  
I feel like I spend all my life defending my choice to run.  I get told repeatedly how it’s not good for my joints, how I will get gammy knees, it’s not safe to run alone or even that I am an addict. (errrr ... actually they are probably right with this observation!). 
What was, in the beginning, just a means of getting fit is now a focal point of my life that the last 5 days have confirmed I cannot live without!
When I think back on the places I've been, the views I've seen, the feelings I have felt and the friendly people I have met through running I can’t help but be grateful to have experienced it all.  I wouldn't trade those times for the few weeks of ankle pain that lies ahead.
Most "non-running" people don’t understand my “need” to run and some think I’m crazy for loving to run. I know people who say they want to run but then look for excuses not to run.  During these past 6 weeks I have been triathlon training so instead of spending most of my spare time running I have had to divide my time equally between swimming, cycling and running. Being off work and injured has given me time to reflect on this.  It has dawned on me that cycling is not the same.  Swimming is not the same. I just don’t have the same yearning to swim or cycle that I do for running. I have also discovered that "Triathletes" aren't as beginner friendly and encouraging as  "runners" are. However slow you run there is always another runner willing to congratulate and encourage you, whereas I don't feel at all encouraged or inspired by my local tri club.
So why do I run?
For my sanity.
It makes me feel good.
For the physical challenge and to have goals to aim for.
To meet amazing like-minded people.
To eat junk food.
To drink copious amounts of alcohol.
To accomplish something I am proud of. 
For complete ME time - When I’m running nothing else matters.
Its faster than walking and much more satisfying.
I love the peace and quiet.
I love the sound of my feet on the pavement.
I just love it!

And if I have to risk a dodgy knee, a blackened toenail or another sprained ankle to do it -  I will! 
To have experienced life as a non-runner for 5 days now has made me realise I will never willingly give it up!! 
My leg is still unable to bear my weight so I am unable to stand on the scales and get an accurate reading ... I dread to think how many pounds I have put on whilst recuperating on the sofa with just the Christmas chocolates for company! (maybe this is why my ankle can't bear my weight!)


I feel so compelled to get back to running I don’t even feel the same desire to complete a triathlon that was driving me forward earlier in the year!  I think part of me blames this type of training for depriving me of  the ability to run.  I trained for a marathon last year with no problems and remained injury free throughout the training and the marathon itself then the moment I start incooperating other activities into my programme I get injured ....



No comments:

Post a Comment