"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Janathon Day 16 - feeling grotty!

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Janathon Day 16 - feeling grotty!


At the time of blogging last night I mentioned that I had started sneezing after swimming and I was concerned it was my water/chlorine/goggle allergy returning. Well ... over the course of the evening my sneezing got more intense and when I went to bed I found it difficult to sleep as I felt  like I was drowning in my own snot!  It was like a tap had been turned on in my sinuses and I had a constant drip to go with the sneezing.  Constantly blowing my nose has now left me with a sore red one and its not even the right time of year for Rudolf!  Consequently when my alarm went off this morning I didn't feel at all refreshed and I really really wanted to hide under the duvet and have a PJ day!  I forced myself out of my pit and was relieved to find the sneezing had stopped but it had been replaced with a queasy feeling and I still had an annoyingly drippy nose!  Just to make matters worse it was an extremely chilly day, and the car temperature said it was -4 at 8.30 this morning.  I can honestly say I have shivered all day, however by lunchtime the queasiness had started to wear off and the dripping was starting to subside.

I was relieved to finish work and hoped that once I got home into a nice cosy house I would warm up ... I didn't!

I cursed Janathon at this point as I really didn't have the energy or inclination to do anything but slob on the sofa watching TV but I gave myself a good talking to and convinced that negative little voice in my head that at least exercise would warm me up!  Going outside was a step too far and I opted for the Turbo trainer instead. I put Troy from Spinervals on to enthuse me!  I managed 8 miles on the bike, then went to sort dinner feeling a lot better with the world.  It's amazing the effect endorphin's coursing through my body have on me! 

After sorting dinner I decided to go on the treadmill, and do my second Jantastic run for the week.  Two more runs to fit in before Monday to keep up with the Jantastic challenge!  

The Zombies Run! app promised me that it would work equally well on a treadmill but I beg to differ!  Although I collected items whilst running I had no Zombies chasing me even though it was set as a Zombie chase! Logically it won't work the same on a treadmill as there is no GPS to track the speed etc but the app states it will!  Hey Ho lesson learnt for next time - I need to brave the great outdoors if I want to play silly little games!

I'm hoping the nose problem is just a common cold but I do seriously think it's something in the pool that is irritating me. I will keep a log of the times it happens and see if I can see a pattern. It might be the pool tops up chlorine levels at a certain time and its the higher level of chlorine that is affecting me ... I don't really know ... I'm clutching at straws ... after coming this far with my swimming I really don't want to have to abandon my dream now.  Any suggestions would be most welcome!!

I'm hoping I have dried up by Sunday. I have my first race of the year - a 10K run in Carlisle IF I don't get snowed in before then that is!  The weather isn't looking very hopeful and a big snow blizzard is forecast for Friday!  The problem is the journey from Kendal to Carlisle goes through Shap which is ALWAYS affected by snow being the second highest point on any motorway in the UK!  Fingers crossed the forecasters are wrong on this occasion! 


Cycling Miles Today: 8.02 

Running Miles Today: 3.11
Time:  30 minutes 

Average Pace: 9.41 min/mile

Total Janathon Running miles: 47.95  / 80 running miles
Total Janathan Walking miles: 24.21 / 30 walking miles
Total Janathan Cycling miles: 52.43/ 130 cycling miles
Total Janathon Swimming miles: 3.83 / 10 swimming miles
Total Janathon non-mileage exercise: 2 hours Circuits

Total Janathon mileage: 128.42 / 250 target


Tomorrow is supposed to be a swimming day but I don't think I will risk it again until I am fully fit and will probably run instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment