"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Exhilarating run!

Sunday 24 March 2013

Exhilarating run!

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling slightly groggy after consuming a wine or 2 on Friday night along with a take away (you can really tell I'm taking this healthy eating and life style plan seriously!). In my defence, James, my son, came back from university for the Easter Holidays so we had to have the traditional family get together and a take away or he would have felt unloved!!!


On Saturday Morning it was cold and very windy outside and I was sat on the sofa wrapped up warmly in my pyjamas and dressing gown and really didn't feel inspired to go for a run. Especially as I could hear the wind howling around the house and see the trees swaying frantically, with snowflakes swirling around. Brrrrrrrrr it just looked so bleak, cold and uninviting.

Even when my husband put Formula One on the television I wasn't immediately spurred on to go out.  I eventually convinced myself that I would feel bad for the rest of the day if I didn't go, and as we were going to Harrogate to stay with friends later in the morning I knew it would be my only opportunity to run this weekend.


I reluctantly got changed into my running gear including long tights, long socks, windproof long sleeved top, T Shirt, hat and gloves and I headed out into the wilderness! I tried to warm up whilst waiting for my Garmin to locate the satellite.  I think even my Garmin was thinking it was too cold as it took ages before it reluctantly found satellite and I was eventually off.  I soon passed a postman who cheerily said "I would just give up now love, its bloody freezing!". Not to be deterred I smiled and kept on running.  


After the initial shock at how chilly and windy it was I soon started to warm up and then I started to really enjoy myself.  The mixture of an embracing cold wind and light snow made it an exhilarating experience. The howling tormenting wind battered me from all sides and annoyingly kept pinching my hat! I kept having to rescue it and firmly pull it back down on my head! Then there was the snow flakes swirling into my face and eyes but luckily when it landed on the ground it just disappeared so it didn't make it dangerous to run in, just wet. Even with all these obstacles thrown at me I felt great and wanted to keep on running!  I understand now how Forrest Gump felt and I just wanted to run, but not wanting to overdo my ankle I only ran the 6 miles I had planned! 

By the time I got home I actually felt hot, fantastic and alive!

I didn't see any other runners out - does that mean I am the only barking one?! 

You can see this run here.



The snowdrifts we passed on our way!
I got showered and changed before we headed off to Harrogate to visit some friends who live there.  We were a little dubious about whether we should risk the journey in such bad weather conditions but decided to give it a go and if we had to turn round and come home we would!  

The snow drifts we drove through were truly amazing!  I have never seen anything like it in my life!  Scary but fabulous to see!  Thankfully we made it there and back without incident but did pass several cars and even a gritter who hadn't been so fortunate and were off the road!

 I spent last night over-dosing on food and alcohol, but had good fun with good company! I feel really bloated and unhealthy now but it was worth it! I really need to get back into healthy eating but life just keeps getting in the way!!!

To try and counteract some of the damage done, we went for a walk with the dog.  By Jove there was a cold bracing wind.  My face actually hurt it was so cold and blowing right at us. You can view the walk here.

I was briefly browsing my blog to see what I was up to this time last year and found it unbelievable that the weather was so different!  I was actually out walking in the sunshine, wearing a T Shirt with suntan lotion on! Fast forward one year and ...... BRRRRRRRR! I hope we get some nice weather very soon.  I have had enough of winter now!



Only 21 days to go until ...



Post injury miles and inch/weight loss since 9th March!

Running:  27.11 Miles
Walking:  25.19 Miles
Cycling:  27.87 Miles
Cross Trainer: 0.90 Miles
Rowing: 1.24 Miles
Swimming:
Pilate's total Time: 2 hours
Core Strength Total Time: 1 hour 36 minutes 34 seconds


Weight loss: 0 / 8 pounds
Hips: 0.5 inches
Waist: 1.5 inches
Thighs: 0.5 inches





No comments:

Post a Comment