"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Tomorrow is the first one!

Friday 5 April 2013

Tomorrow is the first one!

Tomorrow is the day I have been waiting for!  The day I had previously thought would never come!  My FIRST race of 2013 and my first race since my ankle injury! In the 12 weeks since that fateful day when I ruptured my tendon and damaged my ligaments I have had some seriously down moments when I thought I would never run again never mind enter a race!  I have missed two running races plus a cycling sportive during my rehabilitation so it's nice to be back in the game!

After my period of no running then the super slow return to upping my mileage,  I am now having severe pre-race jitters! 

I am always nervous before a race but that is usually because I have trained hard and I desperately want to achieve a PB for that distance.  This time it is different! My running and exercise regime has been so restricted that I am praying there is something in the "less is more" training philosophy. I have missed weeks of long runs with my ankle injury and have only got in one other longish run recently, so I'm feeling very apprehensive going into this race. On top of not being as fit and prepared as I would like to be I am also anxious because it is a very small race so there is a very high possibility in the current circumstances that I may be LAST! But hey, someone has to be!


I have told myself that I will just treat it as a training run for the Edinburgh Rock n Roll Half Marathon next week and not go for a PB. At the same time, I know it will be really hard for me to be in a race and not push myself. I actually almost pulled out of the race yesterday for that very reason. I don't want to further injure myself by pushing too hard and don't really trust myself to take it slow if that is what my body needs. However, I will do my best to be sensible tomorrow and hope the occasion doesn't overcome my instincts!

This isn't even a race I had planned to do.  Originally I had entered the Carlisle 10K which was on the 20th January 2013 but I had to cancel my place in that due to my injury.  Sport in Action (the race organisers) very kindly offered to transfer my entry fee from that race to the Longtown 10. At the time I was very optimistic and thought I would have been back running strong by the time 6th April came, it seemed such a long way off ... and then all of a sudden here I am and it's tomorrow!  YIKES!  Unfortunately for me the Longtown 10 is actually 10 miles not 10K!  I would be much happier if it was a 10K! 

I have been saving myself physically this week especially for the occasion!  I haven't run since I did my practice 10 miler on Tuesday. 


 Check back tomorrow to see how I get on!

As I was saying I have been resting this week, which mixed together with the school holidays is quite a dangerous combination for the credit card!  Whilst perusing the internet I came across a swimming course locally which caught my interest. Apparently this course is designed for swimmers looking to improve their front crawl technique and become more efficient and swim ultimately faster with less effort. 

Sounds good if it works as that is exactly what I want to do! 

Its a day course and during the session you are videoed swimming (Yikes!) and then you watch it back with the coach so he can explain your stroke problems and how to improve it. You then have the opportunity to put it all into practice with another swim session with the coach! 

As I have a "try-a-tri" looming in the near future I thought it would be a good idea to get some swimming advice and have booked myself on this course for the 27th April!  

This is what I have let myself in for!


COURSE AGENDA:

•  10–11am – Introduction & swimming theory session 1 
•  11–12pm – Swim technique session (1) including video analysis
•  12.10–1pm – Lunch & 1-2-1 video analysis & swim theory session 2
•  1–2pm – Core stability & stretch core strength session
•  2.15–3.15pm – Swim technique session (2) including drills
•  3.30–4pm – Q & A & close.



I had best get to the swimming pool in the not so distant future to get some lengths in - I don't want to totally embarrass myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment