"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley

Monday 13 May 2013

Marathon Training began !

My plan stated it was a rest day, but I ended up doing "active rest" in the form of swimming! 

I have tried for months to get a place on the local Triathlon Club swim training session but it is so popular I have never managed to secure a place! You have to ring at 8pm on a Sunday evening to book a place but the phone is constantly engaged and by 8.10pm the session is fully booked!  Very, very frustrating! 



However, tonight was my night (they must have heard I'm a proper triathlete now!) and I got in through the back door on a cancellation.

I was extremely nervous (as usual) before I went, with visions of super fast and efficient swimmers with me lagging behind desperately trying to keep up. 

When I got there at around 7.30pm I was introduced to the coaches and we discussed my swimming ability and what I hoped to gain from the session.  I was put (thankfully) in the slow group which is primarily for stroke improvement. The swim session started at 8pm.

We did 200 metres warm up whilst the coaches observed us, they then offered advice to improve and we went off again to attempt to put this into practise.  After doing another 100 metres we started doing "drills" using pull buoys and floats etc.  Some of these I found easy and some extremely difficult.  I suppose the ones I found difficult is because that part of my technique is wrong. Hopefully I will improve!

I was in the slow group, but I wasn't the slowest!  I was quite chuffed with that! Now I have a couple of things to work on and improve namely my head position in the water and my leg position!

Fingers crossed I get a place next week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment