"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: My First Tempo Run - EVER!

Wednesday 15 May 2013

My First Tempo Run - EVER!

Today was another very wet, cold and windy day, and a busy one at work with Day 2 (out of 4) of home visits completed for the new September intake at school!

Yesterdays entry on the marathon plan stated a "3 mile Tempo Run" and explained this as "running as quick as you can but maintaining an equal pace as possible after the warm up!" 


Last night I completed my first Tempo Run - EVER! 

I have been trying to gain some of my previous fitness back by just logging in the miles and taking it slow. 

This week, my marathon plan seems to be ramping things up a bit! 

I know and understand that if I am to improve my pace, I need to run faster, instead of just plodding around at the same slow pace. All of last years marathon training runs were done at virtually one pace - whatever distance! However, I was just training to finish 26.2 miles then, this year I am taking it more seriously! 

I really want to increase my general speed so was keen to get this work out "right" but how do you decide what pace you can maintain for 3 miles?!  I decided to do some research and according to Runnersworld to ensure you’re running at the right pace during a tempo run it is a good idea to use a heart rate monitor and run at 85 to 90 per cent of your maximum heart rate. However, as this was my first attempt I thought I would try and maintain just a slighter faster pace than usual at around 8:40 minute miles.

I selected a flat route (I need all the help I can get) and after my warm up I tried to force the pace. It was a lovely clear but cool evening and I enjoyed the challenge of not just "plodding".

I managed to do:

a 3 mile tempo @ 8:21, 8:36, 8:57 with a warm up and cool down on top! 

My average overall pace was 8:42 including these. 

Chuffed with that - I have been struggling recently to get an average pace below 9:00 minute miles! My Heart Rate monitor was showing I had run at an average 82% of my maximum Heart rate, not too far off the Runnersworld recommendation!

I got a bit Garmin obsessive monitoring my pace during this run.  Perhaps I need to put my Garmin in my pocket and just run as hard as I can and see what happens! I was pleased to keep each split below a 9 min mile pace but slightly disappointed that I didn't manage to keep it as consistent as I had wanted!  Not bad for a first go though!

I did have one slightly unnerving moment when I
came to a Zebra crossing and the car on my side of the road stopped so I started to run over, only to be greeted by a car going in the opposite direction who didn't stop!  I had to suddenly stop in the middle of the Zebra or else I would have slammed into the side of the car!

I was in fluorescent pink so there was no excuse for not seeing me!  He had the cheek to look at me as if I was in the wrong!

Tonight the plan stated Circuit Training so that's what I did! I was grateful that it was an indoor session as the weather was awful! Arms, shoulders and stomach are slightly achy now but I enjoyed the session!

Tomorrow is more home visits followed by an Easy Run!

Bring it on!

Here's hoping the rain goes by then! 



No comments:

Post a Comment