"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Injured again...?

Sunday 25 August 2013

Injured again...?

I went for a 13 mile run yesterday, which in the past I would have classified as a mid-length run.  Yesterday, even at a slow pace it felt like a huge distance. 

I had no pain whilst I was running but once I had sat down and then I stupidly tried to move an hour later ... I couldn't without being in extreme pain! The main pain was in the front of the thigh, with slight discomfort in the back of the ankle and heel!

I iced and rested it last night but getting out of bed this morning was a challenge!  The thigh pain has remained the same but the ankle pain has increased overnight and I'm hobbling around like the old woman I am! 

In desperation I sent an SOS to my sports physio, who very kindly said he would squeeze me in at 12 O'Clock today!  Fingers crossed his magic hands do the trick once again!

Last year I trained for the Chester Marathon without even getting a slight twinge or ache!  Even after completing the marathon I was still walking fairly normally!





This year has just been a diaster! 

On reflection things I have done wrong include:

  • not accepting that my ankle injury earlier in the year has taken a toll on my overall fitness, and my body is now susceptible to injury.
  • expecting to run at the same pace and train at the same level as before the injury.
  • trying to train for a marathon and a triathlon at the same time!
  • trying out a new brand of trainers and not just sticking to what I know suits me! 
  • having a 3 week holiday mid marathon training and then trying to pick it up where I left it on my return!
  • having unrealistic expectations leading to being continously disheartened when I fall short!
  • not accepting that my body is a year older.
  • not listening to my body!
  • entering another marathon - what was I thinking?!



No comments:

Post a Comment