"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: What a difference a year makes!

Saturday 5 October 2013

What a difference a year makes!

This time last year I was fit, healthy, totally injury free and I could actually run 26.2 miles. Fast forward one year and I am fat, unfit, injured and I can't even run 6.2 miles BUT one day soon I will!


Wednesday was the 2nd meeting for the after school cross country club and we had 20 enthusiastic little people turn up this week!  They were all very keen!  

Due to my ankle I opted to take the slower group and really enjoyed running with and encouraging those who desperately wanted to run but don't find it easy!  

I can truly understand how they feel and admire their "have-a-go" attitude! Hopefully my encouragement, support and sense of fun will keep them coming back each week and never giving up!

Thursday was the day I went to see my Physio and I was bracing myself for his recommendation of whether I should or shouldn't attempt to run the Great Cumbrian Run tomorrow. 

After nearly firing me through the ceiling whilst assessing where exactly the pain was, the answer was a very big and clear... NO! 

I'm sure he should have gags and straps to aid his work!  I tried to mute my cries and groans but some still escaped when I was caught unawares! 

After 45 minutes of hard massage and manipulation my foot, ankle and leg felt like it had been reborn ... taped up and ready to go again ...  I was told to rest until today and then try a short easy run!


This morning I donned my marathon 26.2 T Shirt to remind myself that once upon a time I did actually run further than a few miles and one day (maybe not soon!) I will do it again!  

It was a dull but very warm morning and I set off with the plan just to run at a slow pace and hopefully not be in to much pain.  I concentrated on my technique and thankfully managed 3 miles with only a little pain towards the end! I stretched and iced when I got home and I'm hoping the ache will soon go!!

So my place in The Great Cumbrian run (a half marathon) has been deferred until 2014, and my place in the Yorkshire marathon will go unused as they have a no change and a no deferral policy which personally I think is pants.  All this will do is encourage injured or ill runners to risk it and make themselves worse!

However, this little runner is fed up of being in pain so will not risk anything ever again!

From now on I will listen attentively to my body!







No comments:

Post a Comment