"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: My first brick!

Friday 11 April 2014

My first brick!

When I woke up this morning the sky was blue, the sun was shining and the birds were tweeting!  Life felt good!

I decided that since time is running out before my tri that I would try a bike to run brick session to experience for myself the much published jelly legs effect!


I decided to do the bike and run route of the Kendal Triathlon I have entered but with a slight variation at the beginning. I was starting from home rather than the local sports centre.

To be truly authentic I wore my tri suit for the first time, but wore a long sleeve cycling top on top, although it was sunny it was still a little nippy! 

I also decided to experiment with no socks!  I remember when I did my novice try-a-tri last year the hardest bit was getting socks on to damp feet!

So after checking my tyres etc, off I set for my first ride in months!  I was amazed to discover that I took to it as if I had just been out on it yesterday!

My main problem was avoiding the very many pot holes in the road!

If I had hit one I might have disappeared forever into a big black hole! 

It's very dangerous for the cyclist!  

My cycling shoes were fine with no socks but my feet did feel ever so slightly chilly, a small price to pay for more speed! Hopefully it won't be too cold on the day!

I thoroughly enjoyed the cycle and as I was approaching home I was tempted to keep cycling and forget about the running part.  I was having too much fun to stop but knew I had to get some brick training in if I was going to have any chance in successfully completing the triathlon!

After cycling 12.65 miles I arrived back home where I had set my running shoes, banana, drink and T shirt out in the garage.  

A quick change of shoes (still no socks), a hurriedly eaten banana, a few slurps of water and a change of top to a T shirt and I was off again for the run!  I thought it would feel like I was running in a nappy running in the tri suit but I actually forgot I was wearing it!

When I set off running rather than my legs feeling like jelly they seemed to have taken on a life of their own!  They were turning over much faster than they usually do when I am running. It felt almost like I was running full pelt down hill when in fact I was on the flat!  My Innov8 trainers were very comfy without socks too, so that's another problem sorted!

This new lease of life didn't leave me even when I had a hill to tackle!  I felt invincible and loved every second of my workout today! LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT! 

By the time I had got home I had run 3.87 miles and I was delighted with the pace I maintained despite having just cycled! 

Mile 1 was a 8:21 minute mile, mile 2 was a 8:39 minute mile , Mile 3 was a 8:07 minute mile which is actually faster than I usually run!

Perhaps I have found the answer to running faster!  

Cycle first!

The cycle in the triathlon is 18K (11.18 miles) and today's cycle was 12.65 miles, 1.47 miles further which I did in 56 minutes 49 seconds.  The run in the triathlon is 5K (3.10 miles) and todays run was 3.87 miles, 0.77 miles further which I did in about 29 minutes.  I took about 3 minutes in transition, which included time taken opening the garage door, eating a banana and changing tops!

All in all it took me 1:32:37 for the cycle, run and transition which I am delighted with!

Looks like I am on target for my goal time of 1 hour 40!

Next stop is to practice running with the bike!  

That could add many minutes to my time if I don't master it!  How do you get the bike to go straight whilst holding just the seat? I need to give it a go and find out - quickly!





No comments:

Post a Comment