"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Off the couch!

Monday 28 April 2014

Off the couch!

I am so proud of my work colleagues and very excited that I have managed to inspire and motivate them! 

I usually keep my running antics out of work conversations as in the past I have been met with "it's bad for knees, joints etc" comments and it just annoys me. BUT on sports relief day a few weeks ago everyone came dressed in running gear so as a joke I put up a notice saying I was starting a couch to 5K running club after school on a Monday and to sign up if interested.


Tonight was our first "off the couch" running club and 14 turned up!!! 

We are following a Couch to 5K plan and tonight they ran for a minute and walked for a minute and a half for 8 sets. 

We did 1.5 miles and although they were all red in the face and huffing and puffing they did it and were laughing and smiling afterwards! It was fantastic to see a range of ages from 25 up to 55 all doing something new together!! 

I have set them homework to go out on their own and repeat the same workout once or twice more this week! I am feeling quite emotional that they want to do this because of me!!! I really really hope that they all come back next week and get to love running as much as i do!

Next week it's Bank Holiday Monday so "off the couch" is postponed until Thursday!  It will be interesting to see how many return for week 2!

Later on I went to the tri club swimming session!  

After the awful swim experience I had in the triathlon yesterday I was feeling very nervous about getting back in the water but decided if I didn't do it immediately I might never swim again!

For the first couple of lengths I was transported back to the race!  I couldn't breath properly, my legs felt like lead and my arms didn't seem to work!

However, after thinking my confidence had gone forever I regained my composure and enjoyed the rest of the session and didn't even think about it being a problem!

I did 1750 metres!  Obviously my problem is a mental thing!

I'm not quite sure how I am going to control my nerves in future events!

No comments:

Post a Comment