"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: The Countdown Continues ...

Monday 9 June 2014

The Countdown Continues ...

The Great North Swim is only 4 days away ... but thankfully it's 5 days before my time slot!  

I am swimming on Day 2 in the 3 day event at 9.30am on Saturday morning.

I am trying to decide whether to go down on Friday after work to familiarise myself with the set up of the event and watch (hopefully pick up some tips) or whether this will add to my already very anxious state! 

Although my main goal on Saturday is to complete the 1 mile course and live to tell the tale I feel I need an approximate finish time in mind so my husband knows when to look out for me!  

I am finding this a fairly difficult task as there are so many factors to consider - such as the choppiness of the water on the day, the weather, the current, my ability to swim in a straight line, the crowdedness of my wave, my nerves and the water temperature to name but a few!  

My average pool swim time for 1600 metres or 1 mile is 35 minutes so with taking all the above into consideration and after much deliberation I have come up with a ballpark figure of 56 minutes.

After an exceptionally tiring and extremely busy day at work I was secretly pleased when there wasn't any takers for the "Off the couch" running club! Everyone is either ill, busy or just not motivated enough to want to do it!  

After sitting down with a coffee at home I struggled to motivate myself to go to The Cycling Improvement Course! 

Last week I felt I was in need of much more improvement than everyone else and felt a little out of my comfort zone.

Anyhow, I forced myself to go and really enjoyed it!

Tonight's session involved group riding skills and etiquette including hand signals, peeling-off and pulling through!  I felt that I managed to do most of the things fairly successfully if not perfectly!

Straight after the cycling course I went to The Tri Club Swim Training! With just 5 days to go to the Great North Swim I need all the help I can get!

Tonight's focus was on drills and speed training.

I swam 1775 metres which is 1.10 miles.

I CAN do this swim on Saturday although it has just been reported that there has been blue/green algae spotted in Lake Windermere recently!  If this remains then the swim will be cancelled!  YIKES!  

I have very mixed emotions on this! 

On one hand I will be saved from the terrifying experience ahead BUT will be very disappointed not to get the opportunity to prove I CAN!

pagebanner_bluegreen_algae








No comments:

Post a Comment