"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Caribbean Rain Storm!

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Caribbean Rain Storm!

The marathon plan for today stipulated a rest day but because later in the week I am breaking my 12 mile LSR up into two runs I need to fit in an extra run so I am doing tomorrow's run today!

The plan wanted me to do 1 mile slow then 4 miles fast, finishing off with one mile slow.  However, it wasn't getting me going fast so instead I set out to do the stipulated 6 miles all at a steady pace.

I was awake and heading out the door by 6:15am and got a big shock when I stepped outside bleary eyed to discover it was raining! 

Luckily, by the time my Garmin located satellite the rain had stopped and the usual blue skies had returned! 

It was a typical Caribbean rain storm, extremely heavy but over in a flash and the only evidence that it had rained were the rather large puddles it had left behind!  I had thought that perhaps the rain would have cooled the air temperature but this was certainly not the case, all it had succeeded in doing was making the pavements extremely wet and slippery!

I decided to chance my luck with the golf course route!  Would I be greeted with a scowl and a shake of the head or would the way be clear for me again?  This is what I was pondering whilst I rather nervously headed out that way!

Luckily they weren't serious about keeping me out and today the way was clear for me!  My legs felt like lead and my stomach felt like I had swallowed a football! Perhaps running the morning after a gourmet meal wasn't the best idea!

However, I pushed on and did 2 laps of the golf course!  Once I had done the first lap (going clockwise) I decided that for a change of scenery I would turn around and go anticlockwise.  As I finished my second lap and approached the entrance to the golf course I started to feel slightly apprehensive in case the gate had been locked and there was a scowling guard on duty.  With great trepidation I rounded the corner and felt a huge relief to see the way was clear.

I made it back without any dramas but was disappointed when I realised I had only done 5:50 miles and not the stipulated 6!  By the time it dawned on me that I was 1/2 mile short I had already stretched and cooled down so I didn't bother making up the distance.  

Yesterday I had run 3/4 mile more so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other!

I had a shower and a quick nap before we went down for breakfast to fuel up for another hard day at the beach!

Yet again the day passed by with me doing nothing more than sleeping, reading, swimming, eating and drinking!  What a hard life!

At 5:45pm it was "get up of your backside and go for a walk time!" 

It was much later than we usually go for a walk but sleep had somehow possessed us both despite doing very little all day! 

We needed to do something to work up an appetite before the eating and drinking evening cycle started all over again!  It's quite obscene the amount of food and drink you can consume in a day especially considering we are in such a poor country.

Anyhow off we set at quite a pace so that we weren't too late getting back to get washed and changed for dinner!  We headed towards the right hand side of the beach and walked up the beach for 2 miles, before turning round and heading back!  Altogether we walked a fairly swift 4 miles and I felt more awake and better for it afterwards!

I was ready to hit the Cocktails ... again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment