"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Marathon Training Week 8 - another long one!

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Marathon Training Week 8 - another long one!

The marathon plan stipulated a long run of 16 miles for this week. 

Since I am doing Blackpool half marathon on Sunday and I did my last LSR 6 days ago I decided to do my 16 miler today to give me plenty of recovery time before the weekend.

It was a hot and sunny morning and I set off loaded up with my gels and drinks ready to do my best.

I was surprised when I stepped out the door how windy it was as well as being hot - it felt like I was running in a tumble dryer!

I set off with my route in mind focusing on the pace of 9:20 to 9:40 minute miles as stipulated in the plan.  

I was feeling good and set off slightly too fast completing my first mile in 9:19, continuing to get faster with 9:12, 9:11, 9:21 and then I registered a 8:43 minute mile at the end of mile 5.  

I was very conscious that if I continued at this pace I probably wouldn't finish the 16 miles and forced myself to slow down. 

Mile 6 was a much more sensible 9:40 minute mile but by mile 13 I was beginning to pay the price for setting off to fast as I had slowed right down to a 10:36 minute mile, then mile 14 was a 10:55 minute mile, mile 15 was a 10:28 minute mile finally finishing mile 16 in a 10:05 minute mile.  



I struggled to keep running even at this slow pace and ran out of both energy gels and drink by the time I staggered home!

I can conjure up a load of excuses such as I had done a hard sprint session the day before and my legs were still feeling heavy, it was hot, it was exceptionally windy, the route I picked was particularly hilly but in reality I think I just paced it all wrong!

My plan states 
"Chose to start off slow or be forced to slow down later!"

Lesson learnt!  

However good I feel on my next LSR I am going to force myself to start off slower and then if by some miracle I have anything left in the tank towards the end I can increase my pace rather than crawling home with zero confidence in my ability to complete a marathon!

Although I was disappointed with myself all in all on reflection it wasn't a bad run and at least I did the distance required.

I ran a total of 16.12 miles at an average 9:41 minute mile pace, so not too far off the 9:20 to 9:40 pace I was aiming for!

It felt far worse than the final pace says!


No comments:

Post a Comment