"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 6 - MT Run 24/64 and speed intervals!

Saturday 16 August 2014

Week 6 - MT Run 24/64 and speed intervals!

Yesterday was a rest day which I spent having copious amounts of coffee with a friend so today I was well and truly ready to run!

The plan wanted me to do 1 mile slow, then some speed intervals consisting of half a mile at a pace somewhere between 8:05 and 8:15 minute miles followed by 45 seconds slow to recover repeated 6 times before finishing with another 1 mile slow!

I'm not a fast runner and I am hoping that following this training plan will somehow transform me from a plodder to a super fast athlete - I can dream!

It was good running weather - cloudy and coolish!

After starting with a half mile warm-up, I managed my 1 mile slow at an 9:15 minute mile pace although in hindsight this probably wasn't slow enough with the speed intervals looming ahead! Maybe a fast walk would have been a better option!

I had set my Garmin up with the intervals and pace I wanted but started off on my first half mile interval way too fast!  

My Garmin was getting over excited bleeping "SLOW DOWN" constantly and I should have listened!  

I did my first interval in 8:03, then 8:09, 8:06, 8:11, 8:07, and finally finishing on 8:16!  I really struggled to keep the pace up for the last 2 and it was only my Garmin bleeping "SPEED UP" that pushed me when I felt close to collapse! Perhaps if I hadn't started off so fast I would have finished in a better state!

My final 1 mile slow was much slower than my starting mile at an 10:05 minute mile pace! I was lucky that my legs would actually still run!

Once back home and recovered I felt a huge sense of achievement when I realised that I had kept the pace for all the intervals except the final one which was only a second outside my goal pace!


Believe me for someone who isn't fast this was a hard session but an enjoyable one!

Another rest day tomorrow thankfully before I go on a trail run with a friend on Monday!  

I am feeling slightly daunted by this prospect as this friend is an exceptionally good fell runner who competes in 50 mile fell running events and is fast!  YIKES!








No comments:

Post a Comment