"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 5 Run 18/64 ... and it poured!

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Week 5 Run 18/64 ... and it poured!

This morning it was cloudy but warm and I quickly nipped into town before going for my run!

That hour in town resulted in me getting soaked!

It was still a nice morning by the time I got home, changed and out again and I was feeling fairly positive about my planned run and had a route in mind!

My marathon plan expected me to do a warm up, then 1 mile slow, then 3 intervals of 1.5 miles @ 8:30 - 8:40 pace, with 2 minutes recovery inbetween, finishing off with 1 mile slow and a cool down!

I programmed the workout into my Garmin and off I set.

No sooner had I got to the end of the street and it started spitting, and then by the time I was 1 mile in it was absolutely throwing it down!

It was such a sudden and heavy downpour that all the roads and paths were soon flooded and I was literally splashing my way through the puddles ankle deep!

I tried to remain focused although there was a little gremlin sitting on my shoulder whispering "go home .... go home .... go home", I tried not to listen and kept on going!

I managed my first 1.5 mile split at a perfect 8:40 pace, and then it all went pearshaped!  My remaining two were much too slow at 8:58 and an appalling 9:22 minute mile pace!

My Garmin was getting frantic with me and kept bleeping "SPEED UP" but my legs weren't listening although I did try my best! 

The torrential rain continued for the rest of my run and by the time I got home I looked like a drowned rat and my trainers were just full of water!


Not a good run but I managed 7.77 miles at an average 9:30 minute mile pace!

Things didn't improve once I got home either!  I got straight into the shower and shortly afterwards I started to get really painful stomach cramps and I felt really quite nauseous!

I convinced myself I was probably just hungry and dehydrated so I forced a sandwich and a bottle of water down before having to crawl upstairs to my bed!

I was in bed for a couple of hours drifting in and out of sleep before forcing myself to get up despite not feeling much better!

I was now getting hot sweats followed by the chills and I was feeling decidedly sorry for myself!

After wallowing around I decided to take action and took the dog for a short 1.5 mile walk in the hope that the fresh air would give me a must needed boost!  Thankfully by now the rain had stopped and the sun was attempting to shine although there was still a lot of flooding around!

The fresh air did the trick and although I didn't feel 100% better I started to feel alive again!

I am not sure whether I was suffering from some sort of bug or whether I have pushed myself too hard this week whilst still suffering from jet-lag!

Fingers crossed I am fully recovered tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment