"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 10 long run ... Done!

Saturday 13 September 2014

Week 10 long run ... Done!

Today the marathon plan said I was to do a 20 mile LSR!

After going out last night with friends which resulted in overeating and downing copious amounts of Sangria I wasn't feeling the love for running when I got up this morning - particularly not the love for a 20 miler!

Anyhow, determination won and my husband offered to keep me company by traveling alongside me on his bike carrying all the necessary drinks etc.

I am bored with running the same routes locally so we decided to go to Preston and do the Guild Wheel circuit.  This also meant it would be safer for my husband on his bike too!

So we set off at around 10.15am for the 40 mile journey to Preston to "do" the Guild Wheel.

It was a glorious morning when we got there and started running/cycling at around 11am.

David alternated between cycling alongside me chatting and going off ahead and waiting for me to catch up.  

It was very hot, probably too hot to be running but thankfully we had plenty of fluids with us to keep me going!  One benefit of taking a chaperone with me!

It was a great route, and despite passing many cyclists I was surprised that we didn't come across very many runners!  To me it is an ideal running route! Picturesque and traffic free!

I felt great until mile 18 when I think I hit the wall! Despite fuelling up with gels and energy drinks I was sadly lacking in energy and did contemplate making my husband run so I could have the bike!

However, I didn't want to fail so pushed on and made it back to the car weary, hot but pleased to have persevered!  I think having company helped when the going got tough!

The plan had said to keep to a 9.20 to 9.40 pace and my average minute mile pace for the 20.81 miles was 9.41, so not too far off the mark!

I also wore my Heart Rate Monitor which confirmed I had worked hard with a average HR of 87% of max.

I am pleased that I have another long run behind me!


Funny Running Posts [21-40]:Favorite Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment