"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 10 Marathon Training

Friday 12 September 2014

Week 10 Marathon Training

The start of week 10 began on tired legs after running in The Great North Run on Sunday.

However, I was determined to stick to the plan and the plan for Monday said speed intervals!

This consisted of 1 mile slow, before moving on to intervals of 0.62 mile keeping at a 8.05 to 8.15 minute mile pace followed by 1.5 minutes slow repeated 5 times finishing before finishing off with 1 mile slow.

It was another warm and muggy evening and I was feeling rather lacking in energy after a busy day at work but I gave myself a good talking to and managed to persuade myself to go!

I managed my one mile slow and did the first interval @ a 8.09 minute mile pace, followed by a too slow 8.24 minute mile pace.  I managed to speed up for my third interval which was @ a 8.11 pace but then slowed down for the 4th and 5th interval only managing a 8.27 and a 8.23 minute mile pace! 

The total run was 5.81 miles at an average 9.17 minute mile pace.  

Even though I didn't hit the correct pace goal I pushed as hard as I could and felt like I had worked exceptionally hard so all in all I am pleased with how it went - considering!

On Tuesday I had another interval run to do which I really, really struggled with!  My legs were objecting big time by now and they weren't going to be forced into running fast again!

The plan had been to run 3 x 2 mile speed intervals with 3 minutes slow run recovery in between.   Basically, after maintaining the first 2 mile split at a 8.46 minute mile pace it all ended up slow thereon afterwards!  The 2nd 2 mile split was at a 9.35 minute mile pace and the 3rd was at 9.25 minute mile pace! 

The total run was 8.62 miles at an average 9.26 minute mile pace!

I found this extremely hard work and  didn't enjoy it at all!

I was delighted to finally get a rest day on Wednesday - although I did get to have a good stretch at yoga!  This is the first yoga I have been to for a couple of months and it felt great to be back!

On Thursday night the plan was for a 7 mile easy run so I opted to go off road for a change!  With it being an easy run and with being off road I didn't look at my pace at all and it felt GOOD!

I just ran how my body and the terrain dictated and thoroughly enjoyed not having the pressure of hitting a certain pace!  

I even braved running through cows - all in all I had to go through 4 fields with cows in them!  Thankfully there was only on occasion where I had to go through the middle of the herd the other times I managed to scoot around them giving a very wide berth! I can't believe how brave I was!

The run ended up being 6.87 very enjoyable miles at a slow 10.36 minute mile pace!

My ankles and Achilles felt slightly uncomfortable when I got home but I think (I hope) that that is just the change in running terrain!  


Fingers crossed its not the start of anything sinister!

No comments:

Post a Comment