"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Adventure Thursday!

Thursday 13 November 2014

Adventure Thursday!

Tonight I went for my first DARK TRAIL run.

I felt a little apprehensive about it as I'm not confident with my footing off road in the daytime without adding the extra hindrance of darkness but the tri club were going so I thought I would give it a go - safety in numbers and all that!

We met at around 6.50pm just as the torrential rain started, but luckily by the time everyone had arrived and we set off at 7pm the rain had stopped but the trails were nice and wet, muddy and slippery, just to add to the adventure!

My prosafe head torch!
With having a fairly bright head torch and being surrounded by numerous other head torches the dark wasn't an issue at all!

My path was lit quite well!

The only heart stopping moment was when I jumped over a stile and my head torch caught sight of loads of luminous eyes looking at me - we had entered a field of cows!  Panic rose up my body but no one else in the group seemed fazed by it at all and nestled safely in the middle of the pack I bravely ran through them!  Never in a month of Sundays would I have done that alone!

However, a little further along our journey we came across another field of cows and these ones were a little more frisky!  Scared doesn't even describe how I felt as they started to gallop (do cows gallop?!) alongside us!  Thankfully we made it to the gate safely - its amazing how we all turned into Mo Farrah when required.  The field was very churned up with the mix of rain and cows and I was fearful I would get my trainer stuck in the mud!  If it had there is no way I would have stopped to retrieve it - I would have had to run home shoeless!

Anyhow, despite this I loved this adventure and running on the trails in the dark!  I am sure it will make me a more confident trail runner in the long run!

We ran 6.5 very muddy but enjoyable miles! 

I can't wait for my next off-road night time adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment