"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: My first Runniversary!!

Tuesday 22 May 2012

My first Runniversary!!


A year ago today I started running ...


I was bored with life after accomplishing the Keswick to Barrow walk and wanted a new challenge. I don't know why but I came up with running a half marathon!  I have never been a runner, have always hated running and have never understood those who enjoyed running.  So... why did I start? Well, I think primarily it was to prove those around me wrong!  When I was batting ideas around for my next challenge I was greeted with "you can't even run a mile, never mind 13!" so this made me all the more determined and before I could come to my senses I  managed to confirm a charity place for the Great North Run in September!  I downloaded a beginners half Marathon training plan and I was on my way ...


My first run was a fairly flat 3 mile circuit which nearly killed me!!  I plodded around cursing under my breath and regretting booking a half marathon so hastily.  It was a windy day and I was not a happy bunny!  I'm convinced if I hadn't booked the GNR that would have been the end to my running career!  However, determined not to fail I continued on my journey and in a remarkably short time I started to enjoy myself and actually started to look forward to going out for a run!  I followed my training plan religiously and before I knew it I was nervously standing on the start line of the GNR!  I found this run extremely difficult and challenging but was delighted to have finished it! My immediate words were "That's it, I've done it, never again!".  However ... a few days later once my legs had forgiven me I was biting at the bit to hit the road again! 


And one year later I am still running!  Tonight I did the same 3 mile route I did the very first day I ran, exactly a year ago today,  to see how much I have improved!  I am delighted to report that I have gone from a 11.14 min/mile pace to 8.20 min/mile pace! Dead chuffed with that especially since it was boiling hot!! (and no I'm not complaining!!!).


You can view my run here and compare the statistics! 




Over the past year, I have:


worn through 2 pairs of running shoes.
spent a small fortune on running gear.
enrolled with a monthly running magazine.
run in snow, rain, sun, wind and cold.
run off-road and on-road.
improved my pace from 11.14 to 8.20.
logged 826 RUNNING miles.
made best friends with forefoot running.
discovered the joys of owning a Garmin watch.
finished 2 half marathons and a 10K race.
improved my half marathon time by 23 minutes 56 seconds!
entered a full marathon.
completed the Janathon challenge (Running every day in January!).
blogged about running - OFTEN and had 3717 page views!
laughed, cried, sung and shouted -  sometimes all in the same run.
sweat more than in all the other years of my life combined!
made lots of new running friends.
become very determined to succeed.
and finally 
amazed myself and my family.


I now RUN FOR FUN!




Run, eat, sleep & repeat!










No comments:

Post a Comment