"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Day 20 Juneathon - Sports Day!

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Day 20 Juneathon - Sports Day!

Woke up feeling not a lot happier than I was yesterday and took the dog for a very quick gander around the block before I went to work.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and it was our sports day at school!   It makes a change that we get sports day done on first try - usually we end up postponing it several times due to rain! If it was down to me we would have the good old fashioned competitive races such as egg and spoon, sack race, 3 legged race etc., however it's not up to me so we have a non-competitive team sports day. We don't even have Mums and Dad's races which are always a laugh and sooooo competitive!  I know from experience of my own kid's sports days!! At the school I work at all the kids are put into mixed ability (sporty wise) teams and they do an activity for five minutes before moving on to the next activity scoring points at each one. The team with the most points after all 10 activities is the winner! Its not at all competitive as none of the teams have any idea which team has the most points until the end, so they don't even "fight it out!".  Today I was the official photographer and if I had thought about it I would have worn my Garmin to see how many miles I walked - I'm sure I would have done a few miles to add to my Juneathon total as I seemed to walk around the school field umpteen times getting photographs of each team playing each game!


Another short dog walk when I got home from work, followed by a run with Gina. I have only met Gina twice before, once at Levens 10K race and once at Morecambe 10K race and after talking at these events we realised we lived about 5 minutes apart and swapped phone numbers so we could become running buddies! Tonight was our first date! Running buddies are obviously like buses, you wait for ages for one to come along and then 2 turn up at once! I NEVER run with anyone since my last running buddy moved away, and then tonight after making arrangements to run with Gina I got another offer!!  TYPICAL! I ran to meet Gina at her house (in hindsight I should have walked!).  It was still very warm and we ran chatting about ourselves and generally getting to know each other!  We ran at a  faster pace then I would have on my own but that's a good thing - it might get me to increase my pace instead of being happy  unhappy plodding.  I managed to keep up with her until the end when going up the final hill she broke free from me! (in my defense she is 6 years younger than me and has 15 years running experience compared to my pitiful one!).  I even managed to run the last leg home from her house rather than walk! I was worried that I would be deemed too slow to be her "permanent" running buddy but she seemed keen to help me improve and we have our second date on Saturday!  Bring it on! 


You can view my run here!  Note how the time splits for 1 and 6 are so much slower than the ones in between!  These are the one's I ran on my own - slowly!


My walking activities can be seen here and here.


Todays Juneathon Contributuons amount to:


Running - 6.09 miles
Walking - 1.79 miles


Juneathon total:
  • Running 76.1 miles
  • Swimming -  0.9 miles 
  • Biking - 56.1 miles
  • Walking -  23.1 miles 
  • Rowing  3.1 miles 
  • Total 159.4 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment