"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Janathon Day 12 - First outdoor ride of 2013!

Saturday 12 January 2013

Janathon Day 12 - First outdoor ride of 2013!

My Tri training plan states that today is a bike day. I had decided yesterday that weather permitting I would definitely try an outdoor bike ride - my first of 2013, instead of wussing out and staying warm indoors on the turbo trainer.

I was delighted when I woke up this morning  and threw back the curtains to see a bright dry morning. YES! I thought I will get to go outside for a change.

I'm usually a summer cyclist as I get really painful hands and fingers, which go numb and white if they get too cold.  Many people have told me I have Raynaud’s Syndrome but I have never had this confirmed.  I tend just to try and avoid situations where my hands get too cold. The main problem with cycling once my hands have gone cold and numb is I am unable to "feel" the brakes and gears making it very tricky as well as excruciatingly painful.


However, Santa brought me a very nice surprise present (obviously sick of hearing me whinging about painful hands!).  This present meant I was willing to give cycling in the cold a go today! A fabulous invention although ever so slightly bulky to wear! What? I can hear you shouting ...

... heated glove liners which before today I have only worn during playground duty at school but thought I would try them out on the bike. 

They consist of thin gloves that fit under your normal outer gloves and have a wire connecting to a bulky battery box that has a Velcro strap that attaches to your wrist.  I was worried the Velcro wouldn't hold them securely enough for me to relax cycling in them.  However, I felt more comfortable wearing them for cycling than I do walking and actually forgot I was wearing them!!  I would 100% recommend to anyone with a cold hand problem!!! I didn't even wear my normal cycling gloves with them today and my hands were still toasty warm!

As it was a chilly one I got layered up before venturing out and ended up feeling a little bit like a Michelin man! I saw loads of other cyclists out on the road - obviously everyone taking advantage of the dry day before the snow comes tomorrow!! 

I was delighted that after cycling 20 miles I was still toasty warm and so were my fingers!  SUCCESS!!  My hands weren't hot and sweaty just comfortably warm. I have finally found the answer that lets me cycle in the winter (No more excuses)!!  Good job really as I have booked 'The Endurance Store Eden Valley Epic Cycle Sportive' taking place on Sunday March 3rd, 2013. I need a lot more miles in my legs before I tackle this 60 mile route! You can view today's cycle route here.

After getting home, showering and having lunch we went for a walk.  We decided to tackle another Wainwrights fell as the weather was so nice albeit cold. We climbed our 18th Wainwright fell Wansfell (Baystones), then continued to Wansfell Pike before climbing back down to Troutbeck. 5.18 miles in total. we had fabulous views towards Lake Windermere, but were slightly concerned that the snow would arrive early as the sky looked very dubious!. You can view this walk here! 




Cycling miles today: 21.02

Time: 1 hour 32 minutes 33 seconds
Average speed: 13.5 MPH

Walking miles today: 5.18

Total Janathon Running miles: 34.02  / 80 running miles
Total Janathan Walking miles: 19.46 / 30 walking miles
Total Janathan Cycling miles: 44.41/ 130 cycling miles
Total Janathon Swimming miles: 2.74 / 10 swimming miles
Total Janathon non-mileage exercise: 1 hour Circuits

Total Janathon mileage: 100.63


Whoo Hoo I have hit the Century mark on day 12 of Janathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment