"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: The time has come ...

Friday 29 March 2013

The time has come ...

and the holidays have begun!   YIPPEE!!! 



Yesterday was a very hectic last day at school and although as a church school we do our best to educate children about the meaning of Easter when you are 4 years old it's all about Chocolate so we had an Easter Egg hunt outside.  It was freezing cold but the kids didn't notice in all the excitement of hunting for chocolate, at least we didn't have to worry about it melting!  As well as it being the last day before the holidays we also had two "long serving" staff members retire which = CAKE in the staff room!.  Once I got home (after eating more than my body weight of delicious chocolate cake and mini eggs) I decided to go for my long run immediately.   
However, first I opened my post and was very excited to receive my Edinburgh Rock 'n' Roll race number!  A few weeks ago I couldn't even begin to hope that my ankle would be strong enough to run, and here I am with 2 weeks to go and I am relatively pain free!! Life's good!

I didn't have time to peruse all the race information as "Mum's Taxi" had been booked for lift into town at 5.45pm and I needed to get going on my run if I was to get back in time.  I had a 10 mile route in mind and thought I had plenty time to run and shower before doing my taxi duties.  



Unfortunately, I had based these timings on my pre-injury running times and had forgotten that although I was never a galloping Gazelle 
I was now most definitely a S l o w snail and my 1hour 25 minutes estimation was ever so slightly optimistic! 

I left the house at 4pm shouting over my shoulder I'd be back by half 5!  It was a beautiful afternoon with a bright blue sky but it was still very cold and windy!  I decided on a "there and back" loop that I knew was 10 miles, I didn't have time to worry about coming up with a new route!   The chocolate cake and mini eggs felt heavy and I was sure someone had tied weights to my trainers - it was hard going!  I encountered several hills on my run and I was very tempted to walk on more than one occasion but my determination won through!  However, I did feel at times that although I was doing the running motion perhaps it would be quicker to walk! I had to give myself a good talking too on my than one occasion when I was feeling despondent with my efforts -  I was out there doing it and that's all that matters (except getting home in time for doing taxi duties!).  I was very conscious of the time creeping by and although I kept telling my legs to run faster they just refused.  I regretted over-indulging with cake and chocolate and cursed my lack of will power! 

I eventually fell through the door just before the allotted departure time, to be greeted by a scowling toe tapping teenager and the words "you only just made it!".  I grabbed a water bottle out the fridge and jumped in the car red faced, panting and very sweaty alongside a horrified daughter! She mumbled something like "I hope no one see's me!", at which point I replied "you could always walk".  Funnily enough I got no more grief after this!

I said I would be back, and I was - JUST! Phew! 

By the time I got home my sweaty clothes had turned cold and I was freezing! I was pleased to jump in a red hot shower! Once out the shower I could analyse my run after uploading it to the website! I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to running stats, I think I spend longer analysing every run than I do running! Then I bore the entire household by insisting they look too!! I couldn't even enjoy a glass of wine whilst doing this task as "Mum's Taxi" had also been booked for the return journey! You too can be bored and see the data here! This confirms my initial thoughts that I was in fact slow! 

However, after being injured I do think:













Whilst relaxing and recovering from my run I was half watching television when an image caught my eye on the screen.  It was on The North West News and it soon got my full attention when I recognised the man in the picture.  It was the man who had stolen my i-phone last time I was in Manchester! It spooked me out seeing him again but he had been sentenced to 20 months in jail for stealing 15 phones! It made me feel better that I wasn't the only stupid one he had duped and that the Police described him as a skilled fraudster! It has made my day knowing he has been caught and sentenced!  There is some justice in the world! You can read the news report here!

Today is Good Friday! 

I'm not particularly religious but I do like to remember the reason we have Easter but why is it called "Good" Friday when it is supposed to be a day of mourning and sorrow over the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ? 

As I had done a long run yesterday today was classified as a non-running day. So, as it was another beautiful morning with bright blue skies we decided to make the most of it and go for an early walk.  Well actually we were restricted for time (again!) as I had to be back for my sports physio appointment and my husband had to be back as he was going to Liverpool with our son to see Derren Brown.  I was invited but really didn't fancy it!

We went to Whinlatter and managed to climb both Whinlatter Fell and Brown How although it was extremely snowy and icy.  A lovely 6 mile walk although very cold and windy and hard going in places where I disappeared up to my ankles in snow!  Not ideal with a dodgy ankle. You can view it  here.

I got home just in time to have a quick shower before heading off to see my Sports Physio and for the first time it DIDN'T hurt! He even gave me some harder exercises to do as it has improved so much!! Things are looking up!

I've only just realised it is 10pm on a Friday night which means it was weigh day and I forgot!  YIKES! Too late now, it will have to wait until morning although I have made (with my fair hands!) Hot Cross Buns, Fudge and Key Lime Pie today so it isn't going to be good!  

My physio has said not to run tomorrow after he manipulated my ankle, so another non-running day - what shall I do instead?


Only 16 days to go until ...



Post injury miles and inch/weight loss since 9th March!

Running:  35.69 Miles
Walking:  32.06 Miles
Cycling:  34.87 Miles
Cross Trainer: 0.90 Miles
Rowing: 1.24 Miles
Swimming: 0.67 Miles or 43 lengths
Pilate's total Time: 2 hours
Core Strength Total Time: 1 hour 36 minutes 34 seconds


Weight loss: 0 / 8 pounds
Hips: 0.5 inches
Waist: 1.5 inches
Thighs: 0.5 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment