"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Death by Run - very nearly!

Sunday 14 July 2013

Death by Run - very nearly!



On Friday I attempted to do a long run - which ended in disaster!


Even though it had been extremely hot and humid all day I still thought I was invincible and attempted to do a 16 mile easy run at 4 O'clock, once I had finished work!

This proved to be a very silly move! The first 7 miles went OK considering how hot it was, and then I took an energy gel and it all went downhill from there!

I started to feel really breathless and my chest felt heavy!  I started to slow down and eventually started to walk whilst I recovered.

After glugging a large quantity of water I attempted to pick the pace up again and ended up feeling really dizzy and uncoordinated, I wasn't happy! 

If I suffered asthma I would have said I was suffering an attack, but I don't (or didn't!).

I soon went back to walking and I think by this time panic had set in and my breathing became even more laboured!  I was alone in the middle of the country and all I could think about was if I passed out I would be run over by the next car that came by!

I decided to admit defeat and ring home for a lift! Unfortunately, no one was home so I left a message pleading to be rescued. I did consider getting a taxi (but had no money!) and very fleetingly considered ringing 999 but decided this was a little excessive!

I continued on my weary way at a snails pace walk and nearly cried with relief when my phone rang!

After an incredibly difficult and traumatic12 miles I was picked up and the song "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" came to mind! You can view this disastrous run here.


It took me the rest of the evening to recover and I still felt sick and dizzy a couple hours later!

I had taken with me two bottles of water as well as energy gels so I shouldn't have been dehydrated or lacking in energy!  I really don't know what was wrong - heat exhaustion? asthma? pollen affecting me? 

I don't suppose I will ever find out!  Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

Luckily Saturday was earmarked as a rest day and boy did I need it!

Today was a 1 hour easy run!  I decided to go as soon as I got up before the temperatures rose.  Last night we had been out at a Summer Ball and had left the car in the hotel car park, so I ran my run and picked the car up! I was slightly apprehensive after Fridays disaster and was worried the same would happen again but although it was hot I had no ill effects!! This slow run can be seen here.

I am going to continue with early morning runs this week to avoid possible heat exhaustion or general collapse!

So I have survived week 12 (but only just!) of my marathon training and my stats for the week look like this:

Running: 20.41 miles in 4 runs.
Time on feet: 4:57:28
Best mile Pace this week :  8.00 m/m

Plus

Cross Training consisting of:

Walking: 1.10 Miles
Swimming: 2.24 miles

Total Weekly Miles:  32.76 Miles

and my total training for the marathon to date since 22nd April 2013 is:

Running : 286.34 Miles
Time on feet: 44:59:59

Best Mile Pace = 8 Minute Mile on 26th May and 16th July

Plus

Cross Training consisting of-

Pilate's: 7 hour
Circuit Training: 6 hour
Swimming:  10.35  Miles
Walking: 69.04 Miles
Cycling: 43.82 Miles
45 minutes Sports Massage

Total Miles: 409.54


Here's to week 13 and the final one before my holiday!




No comments:

Post a Comment