"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Time to review 2013!

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Time to review 2013!

It’s that time of year to review my fitness resolutions of 2013 and set new ones for 2014. 

How did I get on?  

2013 has not been a good year for me fitness wise so I haven't achieved all the goals I set. 

However, I am pleased to report that I have finally picked myself up from wallowing in self-pity and got back on the programme!

The year started badly with me rupturing my ankle ligaments in January and I ended up on crutches and off work for quite some time.  

It took a long time for the pain to be bearable and I think I pushed too much, too hard, too soon when I was back on the mend!   I had York Marathon booked for early October and was keen to get the miles back up and recover my former fitness. This situation wasn't helped by me having a 3 week road trip touring California during August which left no time for running! 

Consequently on my return I went straight back into it and within 2 weeks I ended up with Achilles problems, along with a torn Rectus Femoris which in laymans terms is a torn thigh muscle.

So all in all a dire year!  But one that has taught me many valuable lessons!!




2013 Highs:
Completing my first triathlon.
Getting a 10K PB at Manchester.
        


2013 Lows: 
Not being able to run due to injury.
Pulling out of 8 races due to injury including a Marathon.
Not getting in on the Ballot for the London Marathon 2014.
Not achieving my goal for a sub 50 minute 10K or sub 1:50 Half Marathon.



These were my goals for 2013, and the outcome of my efforts!

Compete in a Duathlon.  Unfortunately due to my injuries I couldn't compete in a Duathlon.


Accumulate 2013 miles whilst walking, running, cycling, swimming. Unfortunately due to injuries I am nowhere near this goal!


Walking = 322.84 miles
Running = 767.25 miles
Cycling = 187.95 miles
Swimming = 43.87 miles
TOTAL= 1324.08 miles 

In 2012  I did 2058.21 so I have done 734 miles less this year!  YIKES!

•  Experiment with off-road running:  Due to suffering with Ligament damage in my ankle I have been reluctant to run off-road in case I get injured again so I have been playing it safe by staying on road.  However, last week I decided that my ankle hadn't caused me any pain recently so risked my first off-road run!  I loved it and felt free!  I didn't even worry about my pace I just enjoyed it.  I have since been on a 12 mile off-road run which was incredibly hard but thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely something to pursue in 2014.

•   Run another Marathon and improve my time: aim for a sub 4 hour time!
 I had York marathon booked for October this year but due to my injuries I had to cancel. However I am running Manchester Marathon in April 2014 so this goal still stands!

•   Run a sub 50 minute 10K road race!   I managed to get a 10K PB at Manchester and finished in 52:54.  Still a way to go to achieve a sub 50!


• Run a sub 1:50 Half Marathon! My fastest Half Marathon this year was 1:58:41 which is very disappointing.  My PB is 1:57:54 so still a long way off!

Compete in a Triathlon. In between my injuries I managed to compete in a try-a-tri in Blackpool which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I had a sprint triathlon booked for September but I had to cancel due to injury!

.• Run 12 races in 12 months!   I didn't manage this but came close! I had to cancel 8 races due to injuries, but still managed to complete 10 races albeit not very well!

What worked in 2013: 
Joining the Tri Club swimming training sessions to improve my swim technique. 
I have got into a good  routine where I stretch regularly after running. 
Having regular sports massages and using a foam roller when necessary to avoid further injuries.

What didn't work in 2013: 

Staying injury free and getting more cycling in!

Keep Doing

Follow training plans and set goals. 
Keep attending The Tri Club swim and run sessions. 
Stretch well after exercise and going to Yoga! 
Have a sports massage regularly.


Start Doing:
Become involved with The Tri Club Cycling group. 
Listen to my body!  
Hill training and speed intervals.


Stop Doing
Running junk miles with no purpose! 
Being negative and comparing myself to others! 
Being too hard on myself!


Goals for 2014:


        *PRIORITY*      Remain injury free
Do another Triathlon.
Do an Open Water Swim.
Run a PB Marathon.
Enter Off Road trail races.
Run 12 Races in 12 Months.
Get PB's in all distances!
Accumulate in all activities a total of 2014 miles
Run a total of 1057 miles 4 Haddie!


Requirements (aims) to successfully accomplish goals for 2014: 
12 minute 500m (20 lengths) swim 
43 minute 18K Cycle 
25 min 5k off bike Run
Under 9 minute mile pace running long distance
Under 8 minute miles over 10k (or shorter) distances.

Train off road once a week.
Have sports massages and use foam roller.


My Strengths: Consistent when following training plan and motivated by others and challenges.


My Weaknesses
Lack of speed in all 3 disciplines for a Triathlon! 
Not confident in my swimming ability. 
Always “holding” back and not pushing myself 100% during training and races.  Always feel I have   more to give at the end but I am reluctant to push too hard in case I overdo it and “hit the wall”. 

Injury prone!


Areas to improve: 
Make each training session count! Don't run "junk" miles.  Ask what I hope to achieve before each     run to have a focus i.e speed, hills, pace, distance. 

• Train off road.
Improve swimming technique and speed.  Aim for 2 minutes for 100m front crawl. 
Increase cycle cadence and learn to change gears more appropriately. 
Increase cycling average speed to 15MPH.
Increase road running average pace to 8 min/miles.
Improve skills required to drink and take on energy gels whilst on bike.
Practise transitions. Running with a bike, changing shoes etc

Practise "Brick" sessions - swim to bike and bike to run.


So that's me motivated for another busy year!  My first race of the year is the Central Lancashire New Year Half Marathon on the 5th January!



Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment