"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 18 Marathon Training - I'm coming to get you!

Monday 17 March 2014

Week 18 Marathon Training - I'm coming to get you!

I can't believe it is week 18 out of my 20 week training plan!  Where has the time gone?

I was amazed this morning when I crawled out of bed to discover I wasn't in pain and my legs weren't stiff after yesterday's efforts! 

The only strange side effect from running 20 miles were sore elbows and fat fingers!  I have no idea what this is all about!

However, today it's back on the programme for the final furlong and tonight was cross training which equals tri club swimming.

I must admit i wasn't particularly looking forward to it as I was feeling tired after a day at work and last weeks session was so fast and hard I didn't know whether my body (or mind!) could cope!

However, not to be deterred I went!  I thought it would be good for mental strength if nothing else!

Once I got there I was dismayed to discover that it was another CSS (critical swim speed) session aka a hard one!  

I couldn't even mumble my normal excuses of "I ran a 20 mile race yesterday" as one of the other girls swimming had also done it but in a ridiculously fast 2 and a half hours!

It was time to grin and bear it!

However, once I had done the 8 warm up lengths my legs started to loosen up and the session flew by without me once thinking "I want to go home"  or "I'm going die" which were just some of the thoughts I had during last weeks session!

The session consisted of 100m sets swum at 5 seconds faster than CSS and then this speed maintained for 15 sets, with just a 10 second rest in between each set!  

We didn't quite manage to maintain the exact same speed but we weren't too far out!  Our fastest set was 2:09 minutes per 100 metres and our slowest was 2:22 per 100 metres by the 15th set!

All in all we did 1850 metres or 1.15 miles or 74 lengths.

Not too shabby an effort with a tired body!

Running tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment