"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Worst run EVER

Thursday 20 March 2014

Worst run EVER

With only 16 days to go until the marathon, tonight was probably my worst run EVER!  

I had wanted to do my last long run before the marathon but failed miserably!


It has been an awful day weather wise with torrential rain and wind for the majority of it!

I waited as long as I thought possible before deciding just to go for it!  

At around 5.30pm the torrential rain turned to "just rain" and the wind seemed to have dropped a bit so off I set with my old trainers on (didn't want to get my new Asics wet!). 

All was well for the first mile or so and then the rain once again turned torrential, in actual fact I think it was sleet as it hurt that much when it bounced off my face!

This lasted for about 3 miles and then it subsided once again but by now I was totally wet through even with many layers on, a supposedly waterproof jacket and gloves!

By about mile 5 I was starting to feel really cold and my fingers were stinging! The wind blowing through my wet clothes was pure torture.  

I made the decision that I wasn't going to fulfil the 13 miles I had set out to do and made my way miserably home.

Once home I was surprised to see I had actually managed to run 8 miles although it was much slower than marathon pace at 9.35 minute mile.


As the warm air greeted me I was nearly crying as I was in so much pain from the cold!  My hands and fingers were in agony and I struggled to actually get them to do anything - even getting undressed to get a hot shower was a challenge!  They didn't seem to be responding to any of the messages my brain was desperately sending them!

I stood shivering as I tried to peel off my soggy clothes feeling very sorry for myself!

I think this must go down as my worst run in this marathon training period! 


However on a more positive note tonight's run took me over the 400 mile mark for Haddie so it was worth the pain!

I am sure someone somewhere was having a laugh!  It was just yesterday that I was saying that I had much preferred training over the Winter for this Spring marathon compared to when I trained over the Summer for the Autumn marathon! I am quickly swallowing those sentiments tonight!

I can honestly say I hated every minute!

I am going to have tomorrow as a rest day to try and erase the horrific memories and try again on Saturday!

Fingers crossed the rain stays away!

No comments:

Post a Comment