"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Too hot to run!

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Too hot to run!

Us Brits always have to moan about the weather ... it's either too wet... too cold...too windy...too hot!

So I'm not going moan I'm just going to comment ... it's too hot and humid for running, but just perfect for having a cider in the garden!

Another busy day at work with sports day and then a staff meeting until gone 6pm but thankfully I have slightly more energy than I did yesterday and didn't feel as weary as I did last night.

So as soon as I got home I got changed into my shorts and vest top and the plan was to do some interval speed training. In hindsight this was a stupid idea in the heat but that is what I set out to do, so I did - in a fashion!!

I discovered a feature on my Garmin 910XT that I hadn't used so wanted to experiment. This was the interval training workout mode. So I set it up to do a warm-up then 7 x 1/2 mile fast intervals with 45 seconds slow in between finishing with a cool down. 

The programme worked well but my legs didn't. After the first couple of fast intervals the fast became slow and the slow even slower! It was far too hot and extremely humid to be running fast!

My only complaint would be that in interval mode you have no idea about the pace you are running so although I knew my fast was too slow I didn't know how slow until I got home and uploaded to Garmin connect unless I have overlooked a vital step when inputting the session in!  I will have another peruse and see if I can get the pace to appear and then I will be a happy bunny!

I was supposed to be running the fast splits at around 8:05 to 8:15 minute mile pace but only ended up with split 1 @ 8:05, split 2 @ 8:28, split 3 @ 8:30 ... and then it all went very wrong ... 9:24, 9:25, 8:52, 9:21! 

However I did manage to run 5.13 miles at an average pace of 9:21 so not all bad just not the speed I had wanted!

Hey Ho tomorrow is another day!

Tonight I managed to do a page in my Scrapbook for The Great North Swim! Still got to catch up on a few other races too!


The Great North Swim Scrapbook Page

Here's hoping the weather remains hot tomorrow as I am going to go to the Open Water Training in Windermere despite the challenge being over - after all I had just started to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment