"} Get a life, Get active! By Fit Lesley: Week 6 Run 21/64 and a swim!

Monday 11 August 2014

Week 6 Run 21/64 and a swim!

This morning I was very surprised when I got up to see that the weather was dry!  The forecast for the week ahead was supposed to be horrendous!

As I had a run to do I thought it would be a good idea to have some breakfast and go for my run before the weather changed its mind!

However, I wasn't quick enough!  Half way through my cereal the heavens opened and the world around me went very dark!

I groaned but was still determined to go!  It was only water after all - I wasn't going to dissolve.

I got changed into my shorts and vest top deciding that it was best to have less clothes on, so less to weigh me down when full of water!

Anyhow, it was just an extremely heavy short shower and by the time I was ready and heading out the door it had stopped raining but was extremely windy!

The plan today stated a 4 mile slow run with 4 x 30 seconds of fast intervals afterwards! 

This week is a lower mileage week to allow my body to adapt and absorb the previous training apparently which is why I am doing less intervals than in previous weeks! Although to be honest with being on holiday I haven't been doing any intervals recently but I will go with my body needing to adapt!

Usually for this sort of workout I programme my Garmin so I know when the 4 miles is over and when the intervals are about to start!  However, in my desperation to beat the rain this morning I forgot and set off with my Garmin in its usual run mode.

I did my 4:09 miles at an average 9:06 minute mile pace before resetting my Garmin to interval mode and continuing with my workout. 

I think this actually worked better as it allowed me to pick an appropriate place to start the interval's whereas the Garmin just says 4 miles is now over so get on with fast intervals even if I'm having to cross a busy road!

Anyhow, the intervals were 30 seconds fast followed by 2 minutes slow repeated 4 times.

I was quite pleased with my 30 seconds fast intervals which were at an average 7:10, 7:21, 7:00, 7:48 min miles pace. 

The final one was only slower because some people were in my way so rather than try to dodge around them I actually turned around which slowed me down significantly!

With both runs added together I totalled 6.44 miles and felt much better running today!

Here's hoping it lasts!

This afternoon I went for a very blustery 2.5 mile walk with the dog but at least I didn't get wet and then this evening it was The Tri Club swimming training session which I haven't been to for a few weeks due to my holiday!

Tonight's session was an endurance session, and was very quiet!  I think everyone must be off on their holidays!

We started off with a warm-up and then went on to do some lengths in breast stroke and backstroke which I found a bit challenging as I'm not very apt at it! I also discovered I am unable to stay in a straight line whilst doing backstroke!  I bounced off from one rope to another - good job it was a quiet session!

After this the pyramid started with 100m front crawl, going on to 200m, 400m, 600m with a minute rest between each set.

I didn't find this too challenging so I must be getting better!

Altogether I did 80 lengths which is 1.24 miles or 2000 metres.





No comments:

Post a Comment